Mexico with 11month old (and toddler) - vaccines a no? How worried?

(14 Posts)

Looks like we'll be going to Mexico, (more specifically, here on the riviera at the beginning of April for MiL's 60th birthday.

Why couldn't it have been a meal at the nice restaurant down the road?! Ok, that's not entirely it - I would love to go but for the fact we'll have a toddler and baby in tow.

From what I can see, Hep A and Typhoid are the recommended vaccines to get but the baby will be 11 months (almost) and so too young to have them. Also, I am still breastfeeding him (and plan to still be doing so when we go) so not sure if that affects whether I can have them either?

I guess what I'm asking is am I being precious to be worried about this? How high is the risk realistically, and would you/have you taken an 'unvaccinated' baby to an area like this before? Have you had these vax when breastfeeding? MiL has been to this area several years running for her birthday and said to me 'these hotels are like stepping into a different world compared to the areas you travel through to get there (trying to minimise the risk to me)' but I countered with 'yes, but all the workers are coming from those areas, aren't they?'

I mean, Hep A is rectal-oral transmission. <retch> I'm not planning on eating any literal shit sandwiches, but all it takes is for an infected worker to not wash hands after going to the toilet...

Then, of course, there're the flights to utterly dread think about.

I pretty much think we have to go, so what should I be doing to ensure risks are kept to an absolute minimum bar importing all my own food and drink <eyeroll>

BobbiFleckmann Thu 07-Feb-13 19:08:18

I've been to that part of Mexico several times without any vacs adn without so much as an upset tummy (I am however not a small baby). It's changed a lot since I first went with a backpack and it's now an area that caters for an upmarket American crowd who are extremely demanding - it'll be clean with great food and wonderful weather and the ruins at Tulum are gorgeous. The beaches and water are beautiful. It will be wonderful. The one word of advice I'd give is that Tulum itself is a strip between ocean and inland water (swamp) and it used to be very mosquito and sandfly heavy - I did leave once because I was badly bitten HOWEVER I was staying in a beach cabana with a sand floor - would check what bug protection a small baby can use though.
If you can stop on the way down to Tulum in Playa del Carmen, they will have all the US conveniences you need and Tulum itself will def have pampers eg. Don't let your MIL put you off exploring outside the hotel by the way - lots of lovely things to see near there!

Fluffy1234 Thu 07-Feb-13 19:47:47

Wow your resort looks amazing.

Artigene Thu 07-Feb-13 20:00:37

I've been to Tulum and other parts of Mexico with no special vacs. I was backpacking too and did not get sick once. It was amazing. I was told there was no need for Typhoid or Hep A I'd staying on the main tourist track through the Yucatan.

I love travelling with our young kids. I avoid malarial areas and take good hygiene precautions but otherwise I don't fret. Flights are nothing to worry about: a finite time, kids distracted my new experiences, tellies for them to watch, take some mags and novel toys to produce at bored moments.

Try and look forward to it, it will be great. And explore a bit, it would be a waste to stay resort bound.

MistyB Thu 07-Feb-13 20:10:15

This info says that Typhoid is more prevalent from June to October and outside of the main tourist areas but as vaccines are only 60-70% effective, hygiene and food choice are important.

Risk of Hep A is higher outside of tourist areas and from another source, where clean water and sewage disposal is not available. M

MistyB Thu 07-Feb-13 20:16:26

Oops, fat fingers. Random M

Thank you, all, for your responses - feeling reassured.

Hersetta Thu 14-Feb-13 09:14:44

I've been to that hotel - have a stawberry daquiri for me!

Alibobster Fri 15-Feb-13 11:26:45

Manda, I am taking my 1 year old to Mexico in October. I phoned my practice nurse to ask about safety as my 1 year old turns 1 3 days before we go and therefore wouldn't have time to get the vaccinations. She said his risk is minimal. As long as he is eating hot, well cooked food and no salads he should be fine. You'll have a fantastic time, the beaches in this part of Mexico are stunning and that is a really nice hotel you're going to

Most of the recent reviews on Tripadvisor are favourable.

Apart from the salad I would be wary of having any ice in soft drinks. Ice cream is not something I would readily eat either.

springlamb Tue 19-Feb-13 22:33:00

I'm a little late,but...
I have spent many holidays at the GBP Riviera Maya and stayed in both the Tulum and Akumal sections.
We've never had a tummy upset, and I am not that particular. The whole resort has an osmosis purification plant. Bottled water will be easily available and your fridge will be restocked every day with it.
The place is very clean and the food areas hygienic.
The gorgeous gardens are sprayed regularly to keep the mozzies down although you will want some child-friendly spray for the evenings.
What you really will need is at least factor 50, pref full block.
I usually visit Dec/Jan and find factor 20 ok then for my dark skinned (older) dc. However, when I was last there in October I quickly upped them to factor 50 as those couple of months really made a difference.
Tulum beach isn't the best for really young children although it is lovely. Take the trolley bus to Akumal lobby and walk through to the beautifully warm, shallow lagoon with its powdery sand. Remember, you can eat wherever you are so it's very easy to spend time at the other sections. The Coba section has a new kids waterpark due to open imminently.
Enjoy!

Xalla Sat 23-Feb-13 06:16:06

We took my then 18 month old out there for a wedding a couple of years ago and didn't have any problems. I didn't have him vaccinated for anything.

I have a friend who stayed at your hotel this summer with her kids - no vaccinations and they had a whale of a time... Enjoy!

Izpie Sat 23-Feb-13 06:52:29

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here, I don't know Mexico but have travelled with my young dc to Gambia, Jamaica and Thailand, and ice over one I got them vaccinated. Admittedly we don't do the big resort thing although generally are in fairly touristy areas. I just felt that although vaccines aren't always 100% effective, and you can do a lot by being safe with what food they eat, if either of them caught a preventable illness I wouldn't forgive myself. I have been know to be a tad over cautious about things though :D

Izpie Sat 23-Feb-13 06:53:06

'Once' not 'ice'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now