Is San Diego worth a visit?

(71 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 16:41:06

...or not?

rubyrubyruby Wed 13-Feb-13 11:40:07

calburrito - thanks but those dates don't fit in with us.

Thanks for the tips.

lljkk - it's strange how memories come back at you sometimes when you are least expecting them sad

lljkk Tue 12-Feb-13 13:41:59

S'okay, just weird that I should remember that.

californiaburrito Tue 12-Feb-13 09:00:05

Oh dear, sorry sad

lljkk Tue 12-Feb-13 07:51:21

Last time I saw my mom was an outing at the Cheesecake factory. sad

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 21:54:36

Well, if that's the case, lljkk I better get my ass to Longleat. wink I'm not dissing the zoo, but rather I probably have unrealistic views about the wants and needs of teenagers. Although, should anyone come across this thread in future I need to say something in shouty capitals-

WHEN VISITING THE SAN DIEGO ZOO, DO NOT TAKE THE FREE BUS TOUR.

It's just a drive around the zoo in a loud bus showing you where you can buy food. It represents an hour of your life that you will never get back. Also the zoo is awesome, but the food is crap.

I can also recommend Horton Plaza, but it you really want to tear up the mall in SD my money's on Fashion Valley. They have a Cheesecake Factory, and you can't get more American than that!

Whaley House?, you know I've never been.

ruby how's the search for Yosemite accommodation going? I always stay in the park, but I know it's not to everyone's taste/budget. It might be a long shot but I have an unneeded reservation for July 29-Aug for one of signature tent cabins in Curry Village that I might be able to transfer.

lljkk Mon 11-Feb-13 14:12:04

SD Safari park is pants compared to Longleat, and you have to pay for all the extras (expensive). I should endorse it because cousin works there & they do good conservation work, but not keen. I prefer the zoo, where else can you get inches from a rattlesnake, polar bear or hippo?

Horton Plaza is a funky mall, Not that I think you want to hang out in malls, but thinking you need to entertain the teens and it would break up the wanderings around Gas Lamp and downtown.

Kayaking in Mission Bay is good, your teens would probably enjoy, good way to explore & be active, you used to be able to get very close to the penguins in the pens outside Sea World.

Belmont Park will be in full swing then, too; dinky amusement park but they'll love it.

What about Whaley House, CaliforniaBurrito, can you recommend? I've never been but it was always the talk of school when I was a kid. Classic architecture of the period, same for heritage park on edge of Old Town.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 13:27:42

Also, have a look and here for ideas for all of CA.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 13:25:42

So if you were to do San Diego you could do

Zoo or the Safari Park. The Safari Park is a bit of a drive but it might be more exciting for the kids.

A morning in Old Town and the afternoon/evening in the Gaslamp Quarter.

There's snorkeling/diving/kayaking in La Jolla

Instead of Tijuana you could look at going to Ensenanda

There will also be horse racing on, if that's your sort of thing.

And then, mainly, there's the beach. If you would want to stay at the beach I would suggest looking at La Jolla or further north. Ocean/ Mission/Pacific Beach might be a bit... mature.. for your kids.

And I can second Piste's recommendation of Bike the Bridge.

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 13:04:58

Finding accommodation in Yosemite is driving me mad though grin

I've seen your thread RedNats

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 12:57:42

We could. Although I'm now thinking

Yosemite 2
Carmel 2
Pismo 2
Santa Barbara 2
Palm springs 1

I would love to see San Diego but worried we are doing too many cities.

RedNats5 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:35:44

Ok so could you do
Yosemite 2 nights
Monterey 1 night
Santa Barbara 2 nights
San Diego 3 nights
Palm Springs 1 night

Monterrey-Santa Barbara would be a long day tho d

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 11:48:36

Not bothered about LA tbh RedNats but plan to stay in Santa Barbara.

Thanks for the tips Pistey. I will check out that link.

DH and I have both done NY and Vegas and DH has an office in SF so we kind of know what we are doing with those. It's just the rest of it I'm researching and determined to get sorted this week. We are on half term.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 11-Feb-13 11:35:49

Funnily enough we were talking about going back only last night, DH has just got back from a conference in LV.

Would yours like a trip out to Area 51 and the Little A'Le'Inn

RedNats5 Mon 11-Feb-13 11:34:52

Do you want to do LA or not so bothered?
I would try to include Yosemite I think just for something different to cities.
You've potentially got NY,SF,LA,SD&LV

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 11-Feb-13 11:32:43

DH often works in this part of the world and we have often tagged along. I love San Diego. Coronado is a lovely beach and mine loved the Midway. When they were smaller we took them to San Diego Zoo, but that is just a zoo, although they did have a cuuuute panda cub.

We took the tram to the Mexican border, takes 3 mins to walk into Mexico and about 3 hours to get back into the States. You'd have to really think whether it is worth it, having said that I'm glad we did it.

My fave city in the world is San Fran, do Bike the Bridge, it is fab, you hire bikes from the pier, cycle over the Golden Gate to Sausalito then get the ferry back past Alcatraz. Mine did it first when they were 9 and 7 and it was very ambitious. Would love to do it again with them as teens. Muir Woods is lovely too for good walks.

lljkk Mon 11-Feb-13 11:23:49

Okay then, Jul-Aug keep coastal except for your sentimental excursion, for weather reasons. Your teens will probably love LV, anyway. like LV Yosemite is high enough it might seem okay temperature wise.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 11:17:37

Ok, I'm thinking......

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 11:12:27

Sorry - July/Aug

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 11:11:42

RedNats - SD-LV is about 6 hours but we would stop off over night in Palm Springs area for a look around and dip in the pool.

lljkk - LV is a must for me (sentimental reason) its my 3rd visit and I want to take the DCs as it holds special memories for me. I know it will be hot, thats why we are not planning G Canyon trip, it's easy to escape the heat with all that aircon.

lljkk Mon 11-Feb-13 11:03:16

I was told SD hotels the most expensive in CA, budget carefully.
When is this trip planned for Ruby, because Las Vegas is not nice place to be in summer time. Most attractions over-crowded then, too. Whereas Yosemite tends to be closed a lot in winter.

RedNats5 Mon 11-Feb-13 11:02:19

I've never been so can't recommend anything but I think you should be able to do both?

Yosemite 2 nights
Monterey 1 night
Pismo beach or thereabouts 1 night
Santa Monica/LA 2 nights
San Diego 3 nights
I have no idea how long SD to LV is though or what's en route
Is flying SD to LV an option?

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 11:02:14

We live in the country but near a city and only an hour from London.

They love cities, beaches, swimming, general sightseeing and food! They aren't fussy eaters and love eating out. They're sporty and like shopping but arent theme park park type kids.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 11:00:58

your darn it

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 10:57:05

That sounds like a lot but my teens are all physically fit and bigger than me grin so it's like 5 adults really.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 10:56:00

What are you're kids into?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now