Is San Diego worth a visit?

(71 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 16:41:06

...or not?

RedNats5 Thu 07-Feb-13 07:39:17

And in answer to your question I would say worth a visit (though kit been just what I've heard) but depends how that will affect your itinerary. The extra driving time for us from pismo beach area to san Diego then back up to LA just made it too much for us.

Ill save San Diego area hopefully for another time!

rubyrubyruby Thu 07-Feb-13 08:38:31

I bet you're doing Yosemite RedNats. grin

Will consider SD but don't want to be 'citied out'. We are not doing LA though.

shesariver Thu 07-Feb-13 11:40:00

We to are doing something similar to rednats, couldnt fit San Diego (driving from San Francisco to Laguna Beach) in but plan to drive there for a day trip when we are staying at Laguna Beach.

RedNats5 Thu 07-Feb-13 13:15:42

That's so similar to us shesariver.
Ruby yes we're doing Yosemite, everyone says its unmissable but that all depends on what you are after of course.

I've just posted my itinerary to share

AntsMarching Thu 07-Feb-13 13:39:56

I'd give Tiajuana a miss. If you like wine, slightly north of LA is the Santa Ynez Valley. Excellent wineries. Plus you can drive up the 101 and have the ocean on one side of you. Beautiful drive.

lljkk Thu 07-Feb-13 16:44:13

We have 9 'spare' nights travelling from SF to LV

If it were me I would try to go the places like Kings Canyon, Joshua Tree National Monument, Grand Canyon, Death Valley (weather permitting). If you want to see something truly different from cities everywhere and the UK.

But you sound like an urban person so I wonder if you wouldn't prefer SD as described and a lot of LA.

Best way to see TJ is to get a few streets away from Avenida de la Revolucion. You suddenly find local street markets selling fresh food (like taquitos) and cafes and the department stores that Tijuanans frequent. Watch the locals to understand how the pedestrian lights work! Keep your wits around you, though. Also, on Avenida del a Revolucion don't walk into a shop unless you fully intend to buy something before you leave because they are stupidly high pressure.

rubyrubyruby Thu 07-Feb-13 17:10:47

Thanks. I'm not sure I am an urban person really! I live in the country.

We are travelling with teens who want to see the cities (DH travel to the US a lot) hence, NY, SF & LV but I want some variation in between so the holiday is split. I will look into your reconmendations lljkk

rubyrubyruby Thu 07-Feb-13 17:11:43

btw - we are not planning to do LA or TJ.

Just been (for work) and I have to say Coronado Island looked lovely out of the window of conference rooms at the Hotel del - my one brief escape was to meet a MNer on the way to the airport and she and her chosen bakery were both lovely.

lljkk Thu 07-Feb-13 17:50:45

Coronado has a nice beach & spectacular bridge but dull otherwise. Proud to be stuck in the 1950s. Especially for teens. The teens probably would love the USS Midway parked up in SD Bay, it's just incredible.

Didn't realise you had teens with you. The way mine are going I can't imagine them being much interested in national parks & great outdoors in their middle teen years. Or the long drives needed to reach them. They'd want to ogle & soak up the atmosphere at Mission Beach or Venice Beach, instead. And shop and shop, of course. hmm YMMV. There are several half-decent outdoor walks in San Diego: Point Loma, Mount Soledad, Balboa park, Presidio Park, Torrey Pines. So half-way house between urban & city.

Sorry I don't know LA so well. But I suggest places like Big Sur, Big Basin State park, Monterey, Hearst Castle and Carmel are worth consideration, too.

rubyrubyruby Thu 07-Feb-13 18:36:27

My plan (atm) is SF to Monterey, Big Sur, Cambria, Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, Solvang, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Joshua Tree and Las Vegas.

The beach is very lovely though, lljkk, and the scenery is further improved by Navy seal trainees grin - probably not, though, for teens. I agree it would be very staid and sensible for them.

lljkk Fri 08-Feb-13 07:50:11

(Flash to memories of watching jarheads going for a swim in the ocean while still wearing their sneakers confused grin).
Midwesterners are weird.

fresh Sun 10-Feb-13 21:25:41

ruby we did something similar a couple of years ago, although we started in vegas, drove to Yosemite via Sequoia, stayed in SF and then went down the coast ending up in SD. Have to say by the time we got to SD we were exhausted so didn't get the best from it. I'd love to go back and soak it up some more though, it looked as if there was much more to see and do. Trouble is, once you're in the US it's so tempting to cram more in...

rubyrubyruby Sun 10-Feb-13 22:51:22

Thanks fresh. So if you had to choose, would you opt for the Yosemite (inland) bit or the pch bit?

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 08:27:18

I've just worked out that I could do Yosemite instead if San Diegio.

Mmmmmm

fresh Mon 11-Feb-13 08:42:16

Aargh tough one. PCH was the raisond'etre for the whole trip but it was foggy during most of the drive. Yosemite was outstanding but crowded in August (we stayed at Tenaya Lodge btw which I'd recommend). If you push me I'd still do both, but would just do sf to santa Barbara on PCH, and slower than we did it so I could include Hearst castle.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 10:05:35

ruby I love Yosemite, and it will be very busy in August but if you are willing to see the things that aren't as popular the crowds aren't so bad and it's still wonderful.

Although, having said that, I am from San Diego and it could be quite a good place for your kids depending on what their interests are. San Diego is very suburban and not quite a city in the same way as SF or NY and it might be good for a bit break in your trip.

Can I ask how long you are planning to take to drive down PCH?

And if you do decide on SD feel free to ask me anything!

RedNats5 Mon 11-Feb-13 10:36:13

You may well have already said this I just haven't spotted it but how is your itinerary looking at the mo. how many nights have you got planned I each place. Ideally yes I would do both, possibly at the expense of LA but it just didnt work for us so had to compromise.

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 10:45:30

oooo thanks californiaburrito
i have only sorted flights and accommodation in NY (4nights) SF (3 nights) and LV (3 nights) so far.

We have 9 nights from leaving SF and arriving in LV to do whatever we choose.

We have 3 teens 14-16.

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 10:54:25

Sorry RedNats - x-post

We have 4 nights NY, fly to SF arriving lunchtime, 3 nights SF, 9 nights still planning, ending with 3 nights in LV. Flying home from LV. We shall pick up a hire car as we leave SF and dump it when we get to LV.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 10:56:00

What are you're kids into?

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 10:57:05

That sounds like a lot but my teens are all physically fit and bigger than me grin so it's like 5 adults really.

californiaburrito Mon 11-Feb-13 11:00:58

your darn it

rubyrubyruby Mon 11-Feb-13 11:02:14

We live in the country but near a city and only an hour from London.

They love cities, beaches, swimming, general sightseeing and food! They aren't fussy eaters and love eating out. They're sporty and like shopping but arent theme park park type kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now