Is San Diego worth a visit?

(71 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 16:41:06

...or not?

Ragwort Wed 06-Feb-13 16:43:21

We spent a few days there a long time ago (15 years I think grin), it was lovely and relaxing, excellent zoo, don't think I'd want to spend more than a couple of days there though, are you visiting other places in the US or just San Diego?

CMOTDibbler Wed 06-Feb-13 16:48:46

I love it there - lots to see in the city, an actual downtown you can walk around, great base for going further to see things. And a nice climate.
Just check the convention centre calendar before you book though, as if theres something big on there (the convention centre is huuuuggggge) the hotels will be expensive, and the restaurants rammed.

I've been 3 or 4 times, and really enjoyed it each time

Startail Wed 06-Feb-13 16:50:05

I loved the two days I spent there long ago and want to go back and have a proper look round.

juneau Wed 06-Feb-13 16:51:15

It's really nice and the beaches round there are lovely too. SoCal has a lovely climate.

Startail Wed 06-Feb-13 16:59:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 17:26:15

Thanks all

Yes ragwort. We are also visiting New York, San Fran and Las Vegas. We have 9 'spare' nights travelling from SF to LV and I'm wondering whether to go further down to San Diego or spend more time north of Los Angeles.

Ragwort Wed 06-Feb-13 17:33:39

Can you get up to Yosemite National Park - that is the most fabulous place in the world (IMHO) if you like the 'outdoors'. You will need to reserve accommodation well in advance.

Otherwise, yes, I would really recommend San Diego. smile.

Sounds a wonderful trip envy

grotbagz Wed 06-Feb-13 17:40:42

i loved san diego, lived in orange county and la and much preferred san diego!

Are you driving down pch? it goes right down that way if you're going to s.d. anyway - have you thought about making a stop in oc en route if you are doing it that way, would break up the journey too?

Chopstheduck Wed 06-Feb-13 17:43:57

dh wants to go for the beaches and says it is beautiful. We've booked 2 or 3 nights there, though I'm hoping to do a day trip over the border to Tijuana.

rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 18:01:30

I'm not sure about Yosemite tbh blush everyone says it's a must but it sounds really busy and a nightmare for accommodation!

Sounds like we should do San Diego though - and possibly call in at OC en route.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 06-Feb-13 18:06:18

No no no! Yosemite is AMAZING. You must go!!

Having said that, San Diego is really lovely. Relazxed. Great beaches. Amazing Mexican food.

The old town bit (I want to say it's the Gas Lamp area butI may be wrong) is really lovely. Bars. live music etc.

Basically, you won't go far wrong anywhere in California. It's all great!

rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 18:11:57

grin

What time of year are you thinking of visiting there?.

The Gaslamp Quarter is livelier in the evenings but I would not call it rowdy at all.

I liked it there very much on our last visit. There's a lot to see and do there for a few days; San Diego Zoo, the museums near this zoo, the Midway aircraft carrier and Sea World are all well worth visiting.

Tijuana however is a real dump of a place and is actually worth avoiding. If you do however decide to visit, you can get on the Red Line train from San Diego and travel south to the US border area.

jen127 Wed 06-Feb-13 18:19:11

I would give Tijuana a miss. You won't be able to take your hire car and will have to leave it at the border.
There are children begging everywhere.
I stayed in San Diego for a year there is lots to do.
Balboa park, the zoo, the wild animal park, the Midway ship, sea world, Coronado Island, the beaches, La Jolla and the gas lamp area and there are outlets if that's your thing.
You can also visit the bar from top gun and play the piano......
It is a top city with fab restaurants and bars wine

BitOutOfPractice Wed 06-Feb-13 18:21:27

Gaslamp Quarter! I was right!!!

isn't an old gimmer after all!

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 06-Feb-13 18:31:13

Give Tijuana a wide berth. Awful.

Sandiego nice for a couple of days. We stayed in a motel where the rooms went out over the sea on a pier. Fab!

Santa Monica's nicer than LA.

If you can factor it in I recommend driving over Big Sur on the PCH. That will knock your socks off.

mummytime Wed 06-Feb-13 18:31:58

I did Tijuana but it was a while ago and I have heard things have got dodgier. You park your car at the border and walk across. It was like a squalid trip to Calais in the Booze cruise era. We had trouble finding somewhere that looked comfortable to eat. To walk back you just follow huge this way to the USA signs.

I liked San Diego, good climate, nice beach and seemed less touristy and busy.

But your trip sounds very very busy.

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 06-Feb-13 18:32:49

here

Very charming.

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 06-Feb-13 18:35:52

Mummytime did you see "zebra" you could have your photo taken with?

Actually donkeys painted black and white.

angry

rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 18:57:09

It sounds like a lot and busy mummytime but we are away for 19 nights so hopefully lots of time to relax too smile

grotbagz Wed 06-Feb-13 19:08:07

I agree Santa Monica is a definite too, not far out either!

You'll love pch - it's an amazing drive!

rubyrubyruby Wed 06-Feb-13 19:21:31

Thanks for the link enjoyresponsibly

mummytime Wed 06-Feb-13 19:26:35

From half a day in Mexico, I would say the treatment of Animals was a bit shocking! Very different to San Diego Zoo!

RedNats5 Thu 07-Feb-13 07:36:17

We ummed and ahhed on San Diego for ages. There sounds so much to do but in the end we just can't fit it all in to our itinerary. I will do a day trip to sea world when we are at Huntington Beach Orange County though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now