carribean?

(18 Posts)
nefertarii Sat 02-Feb-13 08:30:22

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular island or even resort/hotel in the carribean.

We want to go next January. We have been to cayo Guillermo (think that is spelt wrong).

It was lovely. But we are looking for a bit more luxury and somewhere different to anywhere we have been.

We quite fancy St Marten as dh and the kids love planes and always wanted to see the airport and the island look lovely.

I have spent the last few nights on the computer but don't know where to start.

Its the four of us and the kids will be 9 and 3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

malteserzz Sat 02-Feb-13 18:46:18

Why don't you do a cruise then you can visit a few islands ?

leannac Sat 02-Feb-13 20:57:58

Quite pricey so depends what level of luxury you are talking about (we got an incredible deal To go there) but we utterly adored jalousie plantation in st lucia. Its the first hotel we've ever been to that we are desperately plotting when we can go back to

nefertarii Sun 03-Feb-13 09:21:35

Thank you for you suggestions. Dh has a fear of boats. So we agreed a cruise was out. sad

I will look at that hotel leannac

My favourite Caribbean places are Cuba and St Lucia. The smugglers cove resort in st lucia is lovely.

DebK2012 Sun 03-Feb-13 09:24:54

St Kits and Nevis

I just priced up 10 days AI at sugar beach (which used to be the Jalousie plantation and it was 11k for me and DP!

Fluffy1234 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:32:44

I second Smugglers cove in st. Lucia, it's a lovely family resort and great day trip opportunities.

leannac Sun 03-Feb-13 17:58:25

11k !!!! Wow we got a great deal, we paid LOADS less than that. As part of our same trip (as we wanted a 3 wk trip but couldn't afford 3 wks at jalousie) we also stayed at smugglers cove. I wouldn't call it luxury in any way but it is really nice & we had a great time there

nefertarii Sun 03-Feb-13 20:06:48

I think 11k is a bit too much luxury grin

We go to florida a lot and were looking for something cheaper than the 2 weeks there costs us. Saving for florida is a big drain every year, so we want to be more relaxed this year.

thanks for the ideas. I will keep jalouise in mind in case we decide to wait and book last minute. Will also check out smugglers cove.

I love Grenada, its beautiful, unspoilt and laid back. Grand Anse is my favourite beach anywhere. I really like St. Lucia, Grand Turk and St. Marten too. It depends what you enjoy really. St. Marten has loads to do and is really family friendly (the segway tour is great fun) but there are better beaches elsewhere. Have you thought about Aruba? It's got great hotels, great beaches, shopping, restaurants, watersports etc. Very touristy but great fun smile

leannac Mon 04-Feb-13 07:32:20

If you book at the right time with smugglers its really cheap allowing more funds for jalousie! That was our plan! We paid £95 a night for DH, dd & I all inclusive & its one of those resorts where you really don't need to spend any more so worked out well for us. Good luck! I also hoard virgin flying club miles via all sorts of methods so I only had to pay tax on the flights. I'm determined to not miss out on lovely hols just cos our income has halved now I'm a SAHM!

Leanac: how long ago did you go to jalouisie? Just wondered if it's all the same since it changed its name?

mummymeister Mon 04-Feb-13 14:27:20

OP i know you go to florida a lot but have you stayed in florida keys before? we have just come back from a hol in islamorada upper keys which was fantastic and completely different from other florida hols we have had. good cycle trail if you like that and some brilliant places to explore. not sure if your OH problem with boats relates to small ones as well.

middleagedspread Mon 04-Feb-13 17:26:38

We've had some lovely family holidays in the Carribean.
Jalousie was our DCs first visit & has been hard to beat.
Do you want an AI resort or a simple beach hut?
Tobago is very pretty, as is Bequia. Barbados or Antigua are more mainstream but don't rule them out.
It might be worth considering an island with a direct flight.

leannac Tue 05-Feb-13 14:18:35

We were in jalousie in November last year so think it'll just be the name that's changed since then as they had almost finished upgrading all facilities by time we got there

Chewbecca Sun 10-Feb-13 21:48:16

We're going to St Martin at Easter, to Grand Case (French side). Chose it because of the French connection, excellent restaurants (reputedly) and we also fancy doing the plane thing at Maho beach! Ask again end April!!

maisiejoe123 Fri 22-Feb-13 17:50:53

Went to Smugglers Cove last Feb. I would call it a reasonable 3 star although they market themselves as 4*. It was OK, but wouldnt rush back. Went all inclusive and it was OK but heaving with half term kid (including ours!) and the staff struggled to cope.

St James in Antigua was better but I found it was expensive for what you got. What about Dubai?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now