Sri Lanka when pregnant?

(5 Posts)
Keavs Fri 01-Feb-13 13:05:06

Hello, I need some help.... Has anyone been to Sri Lanka when pregnant? I will be about 26 weeks and it will be our last holiday before baby is born.

Any tips or advice?

Thank you!

specialsubject Fri 01-Feb-13 16:01:21

parts of Sri Lanka are malarial. Anti-malarials are not recommended for pregnant women.

general tropical advice: you'll need 24/7 DEET anyway to help prevent dengue.

Binkybix Thu 14-Mar-13 13:07:26

I went when not pg, and we did need some jabs (can't remember which ones) so unless you've had them already, might need to check they're ok.

The bit we travelled around in was not malarial, and lots to do and see there (you can check on NHS maps I think). We didn't use DEET, but may have been more cautious about Dengue fever - hard to say.

No problems with food poisoning or anything like that, but do get travel insurance that includes pg cover (we found that quite a few did as standard when going away when pg recently).

mummymeister Thu 14-Mar-13 15:55:09

You need to check with the airline that they are Ok (sure they will be) and with travel insurance because they may not be. also go and see your gp. tbh this is not a trip i would make at 26 weeks pregnant unless i had no choice. anti malarials wont be possible and although deet is safe wearing it all over 100% of the time is not my idea of good when pregnant. if this is a trip by choice could you not look at somewhere else?

Jeezaloo Tue 19-Mar-13 09:10:54

I live in Sri Lanka at the mo, and would say that it's safe for a pregnant woman. It may not be comfortable though with the humidity.

Malaria is relatviely low risk (depends on which areas you are travelling to) but dengue is a very real risk, and I would advise some form of repellent. I've got a young DS and I use citronella spray on him, and tiger balm patches (stick them on his clothes and he's good to go). You could look into that sort of thing.

In terms of food and drink, it's a pretty clean country (compared to India, rather than compared to UK), and I hear very little of food poisoning, and again if you're sensible it shouldn't be a problem.

Just typed all this then realised your original question was back in Feb, so you've probably booked for somewhere else now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now