Disney at Eastertime - anything else I need to do now?

(15 Posts)
SorrelForbes Thu 31-Jan-13 13:02:55

Sorry, TPA is Tampa. Not too far a drive away and a nice place to look around (we plan to spend a few hours there on our last day before checking in for our flights).

HuevosRancheros Wed 30-Jan-13 20:03:27

Thanks, very helpful, shall look at United ....(where is TPA?)

Huevos

The only airlines that fly direct into Orlando are BA and Virgin Atlantic - VA I seem to recall fly from Manchester to Orlando. (Thomson use Sanford which is about an hour further east of Orlando).

SorrelForbes Wed 30-Jan-13 18:46:45

We've just booked to fly from LHR - TPA - LHR over Easter on United for £495 each.

HuevosRancheros Wed 30-Jan-13 17:52:06

We are in Nottingham, so don't mind flying from Birmingham, Manchester or London, but would so prefer direct flights.
Will start scanning the web in April grin

Thanks

theoriginalandbestrookie Wed 30-Jan-13 17:42:47

We are flying from Edinburgh so there are no direct flights, but this is via New York and people I have talked to say its better going with United than the Thomson flights from Glasgow - plus we'd have to trek there.

That is a lot for the flights. I think Easter is very popular so I don't think prices will come down for this Easter at all.

HuevosRancheros Wed 30-Jan-13 17:41:05

£600 each sounds good...is that direct? We were looking at nearly £6000 shock for 4 of us.... but when the kids are only 2 and 5, it feels like such a lot to pay. The costs came down a lot if we went indirectly, via Detroit or somesuch, but it just made the journey sooooo long.

confused

theoriginalandbestrookie Wed 30-Jan-13 17:15:40

Hi Huevos - I bought the flights as soon as they came out, I was on the united website every day for about a week. They cost £600 each for 13 nights ( was cheaper to go for 13 rather than 14).

I think that as soon as the flights start going up in cost in many cases the packaged holidays are better value than getting things separately. For accomodation we have what looks like a nice 2 bed condo thats 10 mins driving distance to Disney for £600 for the 13 nights which I'm delighted about as we would rattle around in one of those lovely villas but I'd hate to be stuck in a pokey hotel room.

I'd get in there the day the flights are released, skyscanner is quite good as well for comparisons if you are lucky enough to be near an airport with multiple options. Oh and if you see something good then book it straight away, we had looked at a slightly different option which was even cheaper, but by the time we ummed and ahhed about it the price had gone way up.

HuevosRancheros Wed 30-Jan-13 17:04:19

Can I just ask.... did you save much by booking last year? We were considering going this easter, looked at prices a few weeks ago, fell over and gave up. Am hoping they will be cheaper if we buy in May for next Easter?

Thanks smile

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 28-Jan-13 20:18:37

Thanks Attila I will - 60 days and counting ( primarily because DS's birthday is the day before so we are counting anyway grin)

Very pleased to read that you used the official site; as you rightly state there are a lot of scams re ESTAs out there and many have been caught out.

Enjoy your holiday!!

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 28-Jan-13 15:57:20

Fret ye not Attila - I did it through the official website and only paid $14. Absolute scandal that companies are making money conning people into getting them to complete it. it's not even that hard to fill out.

mummy - I bought my copy last May as soon as we booked the flights !

mummymeister Mon 28-Jan-13 12:17:14

Buy the book - unofficial guide to WDW with kids. absolutely worth its weight in gold. has touring plans in it to make sure you make the most of your time. we also bought the sister book to this which covers places outside disney like universal. you need to be really prepared for the queues and to know about fast pass before you go. also not sure how old dc's are but a lot of rides do have height restrictions. find them out before you go so you can prepare the kids for what they can/cannot go on. Most of all have a fab time

Please tell me that you used the official US government website re the ESTA (you should not pay any more than $14 US per application, this is about £9 sterling).

Do not forget to complete the API (Advance Passenger Information) with the airline you are travelling with.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 27-Jan-13 15:32:22

Woo Hoo first time to Disney going the day after DS's birthday, can't wait.
I have just applied for the US visa waivers today and have booked a couple of character meals and made reservations in advance for T-rex.

Will order the Disney tickets as soon as enough funds in the account to do so. Anything left to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now