Is Discovery Cove worth it?

(11 Posts)
Gingersstuff Sun 03-Mar-13 17:19:25

Places like Discovery Cove and Seaworld, Marineland etc are hell on earth for dolphins and orcas. Please google The Cove, or Taiji dolphin drives and you'll be horrified at the story behind the captive dolphin industry....and I'd hope to god you'd then decide never to give these places your ticket money.

gemma4d Sat 02-Feb-13 15:08:57

I'd love to go but worry about the ethics. Damn ethics. At least Mickey Mouse is there of his own free will.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 02-Feb-13 14:39:07

please please research these places before you go i would never go to seaworld again and certainly it made me think about the plight of animals such as dolphins, whales and polar bears kept in tiny tiny enclosures and forced to perform for humans. there is so much else to do in florida without supporting these horrible places.

herladyship Sat 02-Feb-13 11:23:28

Agree with porkster, poor dolphins hmm

We swam with wild dolphins in Australia.. ie, we were swimming & they chose to come & interact (no touching) now THAT was amazing

I can't believe people see discovery cove as acceptable..

Porkster Sat 02-Feb-13 11:16:25

Please don't support somewhere like Discovery Cove if you love dolphins.

These places are cruel and unnatural for these clever, sensitive creatures.

We go to Florida every year. We always see dolphins in the wild, it's easy.

I'd suggest you do some research somewhere like PETA, before you make your decision. Don't let your children grow up thinking these places are ok.

nogoodusernamesleft Sat 02-Feb-13 08:41:14

We went last summer, it was brilliant until I got bitten by the dolphin we were swimming with! Still got a nasty scar on my arm sad , has really put me off ever getting in the water with them again, they're scary buggers!

Plus the staff made me sign all sorts of disclaimers saying that I wouldn't sue them.

But OTHER than that, we all had a fab day! grin

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 02-Feb-13 08:39:55

Yes! Dh and I have been, we went when it first opened. It is brilliant!

If I get the job I interviewed for yesterday my first wages purchase will be DC tickets for our holiday in July!

nuckingfackered Sat 02-Feb-13 08:35:18

Definitely well worth it. It was the highlight of our holiday, we didn't want to leave. We would go back to Florida just to go to discovery cove again.

pharmagirl99 Sat 02-Feb-13 08:11:34

Went last summer with 16, 14, & 12 yr olds. Unanimously the best day ever. We are all still talking about it. It is pricey but don't forget you get 14 days of SeaWorld & Aquatica thrown in. So worth it, I would do it again in a heart beat.

Hermionewastherealhero Fri 25-Jan-13 20:32:50

It was amazing when we went, and we had lunch sat next to Jodie foster! We went when it had just opened, that was about 12 years ago I think

We are going to Florida in August and were looking today at booking some tickets. We are lucky enough to have gone to Disney already so were looking at Seaworld, Aquatica etc.

It's such a lot extra to go to Discovery Cove with swim included! I would love to hear from anyone that has been. Was it good? Was it worth the extra? Our DC's will be 14, 9 and 7.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now