Car hire and boosters in US

(7 Posts)
jenniepanda Wed 30-Jan-13 21:40:04

Thanks notfarming, this is what it says about California

Child Restraints
Children must be secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint until they are at least 6 years old or weigh at least 60lbs.

Children weighing more than 40lbs may be belted without a booster seat if they are seated in the rear seat of a vehicle not equipped with lap/shoulder belts.

Children aged 6 to 15 year olds or children weighing 60lbs or more must be restrained but the adult belt can be used.

Soooo, does that mean that if my girls are 6 and 8 that they don't need booster seats, but can just use normal seatbelts??

lunchbox Wed 30-Jan-13 20:37:05

Not sure on the law in the US, but we've bought these for a trip to Australia, and they can be used as kids carry on luggage and then kept as a spare in car for emergencies
best idea ever

notfarmingatthemo Wed 30-Jan-13 19:32:20

All the information you need is here it is different in different states

jenniepanda Tue 29-Jan-13 21:44:13

Sorry to hijack, but I was just coming on to ask about car seats in California. What are the laws? We're hiring a car and have a 6 year old and an 8 year old.

loopyluna Fri 25-Jan-13 07:58:02

Ooh, sounds perfect. Will google!

SweepTheHalls Fri 25-Jan-13 07:48:40

Get a bubble bum inflatable booster to stick in your hand luggage. They are great. Fully certified for uk and us group 2 upwards.

loopyluna Fri 25-Jan-13 07:47:14

We've booked 12 days in Florida in April (yay) and will have a hire car. My youngest is 7 so still uses a booster sear.
Should we hire a booster as an extra (around $60), buy a cheap one there when we arrive or just take one with us?
What have others done about car seats and boosters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now