Trailfinders - any good?

(13 Posts)
turkeyjo Wed 09-Jul-14 14:49:42

I'd stick with booking independently. My mother and I went to SA using them last year. They were happy to take our money but advised us on a hotel (Harbour Bridge Hotel in Cape Town). They pushed us to booking stressing limited flight seats left (a sales ploy) and when we questioned the 2nd Cape Town hotel had poor online reviews they dismissed this saying if we wanted to cancel change we had to lose the money of the 6 nights booked.
Our concerns came to fruitation, infact the hotel was impossible to walk to the centre and so badly known taxis wouldn't come to it. Service was poor on many counts. After several emails / calls the best Trailfinders would offer was 50% of our 6 night stay. We only stayed at the hotel 4 nights as were concerned about the taxi thing on NYE and weren't relaxed at the hotel.
The hotel rang us at 4;30 one morning to say our airport taxi was there, when we said we weren't going to the airport they argued!
In addition we did a (wonderful) safari but the flight times meant we nearly missed 2 of the 6 drives we'd booked. When we told Trailfinders this they adjusted the flight back but again lack of attention to detail.
There were many other issues but don't want to bore you. Take advice from forums and book direct. Oh and if you go to Cape Town do the Blue and Red bus tours, excellent value.

rubyrubyruby Thu 21-Feb-13 13:16:36

excuse typos - on phone

rubyrubyruby Thu 21-Feb-13 13:13:43

SW1XMother - thanks for posting. I have found them very good - they keep phning but not in a pushy way, but haven't actually used them for any if my bookings.

It had taken me weeks of searching and planning but I have finally finished our itinerary and bookings! There quote at least gave me a challenge to beat!

They were very helpful though. Enjoy you trip

SW1XMother Mon 18-Feb-13 19:23:13

Ruby

I cannot recommend Trailfinders enough. I usually book independently BUT this year we are going to Miami, Los Angeles and Las Vegas and I booked with Trailfinders as it was too much hazzle for me to book on my own for the whole family and all the little extra wishes we have. We saved over £300 on the hotel for a week in Las Vegas. Booking.com was nearly 1k and we paid only £645 including taxes and resort fee.

My travel consultant was excellent. I will book all my holidays from now one with them.

shesariver Sat 26-Jan-13 00:02:02

You to ruby, when are you going? I reckon your holiday will probably be cheaper though! envygrin

rubyrubyruby Thu 24-Jan-13 06:57:36

That's a good point shesariver and they don't charge card fees either.
Hope you have a great time - we are doing similar to you. It will be interesting to see how my DIY holidays adds up compared to their quote.

I'm glad the feedback on here is positive.

shesariver Wed 23-Jan-13 21:37:41

Their quote for what I wanted (New York, then driving from San Francisco to LA) was reasonable and the service fantastic. I would have considered booking independently if I could have afforded all the flights up front but I couldn't so at least with trailfinders you only pay a deposit.

rubyrubyruby Wed 23-Jan-13 19:05:11

Thanks for replying

I booked flights independent today as we got a good deal.
I have also done a bit of pricing up myself as I found their quote quite expensive and think I can probably do better myself by contacting direct.

Food for thought

WowOoo Wed 23-Jan-13 10:42:50

I found them great. We didn't stay in any kind of travel lodge.
They organised so much for us and it all went smoothly.

Sandra67 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:37:20

The staff are really helpful in my experience, you can certainly rely on them to sort out all the little details. Applying for my Indian Visa was a breeze! Also I live in west london and dropping into their Travel Clinic with the family couldn't have been easier...

rubyrubyruby Wed 23-Jan-13 10:33:09

I'm just worried I will get put in the equivalent of travel lodges when I would prefer something more ....... Well, you know.

JetlagandMayhem Wed 23-Jan-13 08:33:02

The lady I deal with at Trailfinders is awesome! It depends what you're looking for but she has basically booked the honeymoon of everyone I know! If you're looking for a big holiday with lots of components and organisation to it then def use them. If it's something that you can do yourself quickly & online then you might want to do that...

rubyrubyruby Tue 22-Jan-13 15:08:15

or are we better booking independently?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now