Pre-paid credit cards for USA

(7 Posts)
WigCarpet Tue 22-Jan-13 10:02:40

I got a pre-paid credit card when I went to Florida a few years ago and it worked out really well, saves carrying shit loads of money around.

In a few weeks I fly to Vegas/Los Angeles and am wondering about doing the same thing again. Are they still the "done thing"? anyone else use them?

www.which.co.uk/money/credit-cards-and-loans/guides/prepaid-cards/prepaid-card-pros-and-cons

You may want to read this before deciding whether to get another one of these cards or not. The lack of Section 75 protection would be a big minus point as are the fees incurred.

Some but not all US stores also ask for photo id when making a credit card purchase.

I would take a visa backed credit card and a debit card as well (do not forget to inform your bank and credit card company beforehand that you will be travelling as failure to do may get a stop marker placed on the cards).

I understand halifax have a very good one for spending abroad.

mummymeister Tue 22-Jan-13 23:28:00

Just got back from florida and we used an ordinary credit and debit card and had only a small amount of cash with us. no id ever asked for and it worked fine.

Isityouorme Wed 23-Jan-13 10:38:59

Caxton fx are great. You can top up the balance via text and many ATMs ont charge a fee. Highly recommended.

Groovee Wed 13-Feb-13 15:20:13

I keep being recommended the fair fax card x

MissNJE Mon 18-Feb-13 18:59:43

I have the Dollar Prepaid card from Virgin and I can't say something negative about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now