Recommendations for Florida Gulf coast please

(11 Posts)
Blondie1984 Mon 21-Jan-13 22:34:56

I second Naples, which is beautiful as is Marco Island - you can rent a house with a pool and the beach is just a short drive away

Mutt Mon 21-Jan-13 22:06:08

I was just popping in to suggest Captiva...Madame beat me to it!

So I second her - it really is a stunning place smile

Captiva Island, heaven here on earth!

ihatethecold Mon 21-Jan-13 22:02:59

I've stayed at clearwater twice. Great place but I preferred treasure island just down the coast.
We stayed at sunset vistas with virgin holidays.
That price matched so I got it really cheap
It's on the beach with a pool and the best bit was the kids had their own room after 2 weeks of sharing with me and DH. Lovely apartment. Great sunsets. Dolphins and pelicans everywhere.

MABS Mon 21-Jan-13 17:01:57

meant Naples!

MABS Mon 21-Jan-13 17:01:41

Narles, Sanibel, St Petes smile

Pagwatch Mon 21-Jan-13 16:03:56

Sanibel.

MOSagain Mon 21-Jan-13 16:03:09

I agree clearwater is beautiful, we went there for a day last summer when we were fed up with theme parks in Orlando. The beach was absolutely fabulous and we will definitely go there again. Can't recommend any hotels though. Might be worth looking on owners direct for villas/apartments there. As said above, you could easily drive up the I4 to Magic Kingdom for the princess encounter.

The island of Sanibel.

SorrelForbes Mon 21-Jan-13 15:03:18

I love Clearwater, Tampa, St Petersburg, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Sanibel. All lovely areas with lots of choices for accommodation.

We usually stay with friends but have stayed at the Hilton Doubletree in North Reddington beach (near Clearwater) and at the Sandpearl Resort in Clearwater.

Tampa/Clearwater is close enough to Disney to do a day trip to the Magic Kingdom for some for princess encounters!

Stokey Mon 21-Jan-13 09:46:28

We want to go somewhere warm in March before I go back to work after mat leave. Dd1 is 3 and Dd2 will be 11 months. Think we'll avoid the theme parks as dd2 is too little and is happy just to play in the sand, tho would also be excited to meet a princess hmm
Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to stay? Near the beach with a pool would be good. I'm not really a resort person, small hotel or self catering would be great. Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now