Seat booking

(20 Posts)
permaquandry Sat 19-Jan-13 22:35:05

Anyone got experience of seat booking on Singapore airlines, just gone to book seats on line and there isn't 4 together!!! Airline agent sad yesterday that the airport had 'block booked' a segment of seats so I need to try within 48 hours, but haven't heard of this and panicking well spend 13 hours on a night flight separated or snoring next to a stranger.

notfarmingatthemo Sun 20-Jan-13 13:41:04

We booked our flights at the flight centre we were told they couldn't book seat they could only request them. I was able to see that the airline do seam to block out some seats. I think that is so that families can sit together. I would book what you can and then get to the airport. For the beginning of check in.
It is not in their interest to separate families. I cant imagine any one would want to sit next to my overexcited very chatty 7 year old.
We fly the 8th march. When do you fly. My girls are 7 and 11

permaquandry Sun 20-Jan-13 15:28:30

Hi not, are you going in to oz? We going in may.

Are you going with Singapore? Mine are 4 and 7.

Wait until online check in opens. You should get them at that point.

permaquandry Sun 20-Jan-13 17:14:03

Got a reply from Singapore that said I should wait til 48 hours before departure? Can I check in earlier than that? Thx

notfarmingatthemo Sun 20-Jan-13 17:43:01

We are flying with Singapore to Nz. So have the same first flight as you to Singapore airport. We are having a 12hr stop in sin and then fly on to Christchurch.

Yes, check in is 48 hours before.

This is what Singapore Airlines write on their website:-

"If you are travelling in Suites, First Class or Business Class, you can request for a specific seat any time from the time of booking. If you are travelling in Economy Class, you can also request for a specific seat if you have purchased your ticket through our website..

If you purchase the ticket for your infant through our website, we will assign you a seat at a bassinet point, depending on availability.
We will do our best to meet your seat request. However, we may occasionally need to reassign seats, due to operational constraints and rescheduling. We appreciate your understanding in these special circumstances"

I guess you are travelling in economy and the scenario you describe often happens. Also you likely did not purchase a ticket direct through their website. (BA do a similar thing with their seating). Unfortunately you're going to wait until 48 hours beforehand unless SA make you pay for being seated together.

It's often happens to us (we fly singapore - London return every summer and me and the kids seem to be allocate seats one at each corner of the aircraft). If you can't get it sorted out beforehand (call sq offices and explain), ask at the check in desk, then ask at the gate. We normally go with the "I'm sure someone would love to sit next to my 4 year old, please can you ask them to cut up her food for her" line. They always ask someone to swap. I don't think you can have children sitting by themselves anyway. Don't worry.

permaquandry Mon 21-Jan-13 14:28:41

Butterflies, do you all end up together? Was worried that dh and dc1 will end up separated from me and dc2?

MOSagain Mon 21-Jan-13 16:05:54

They will have to seat a child with an adult so although technically they could sit you with one DC and your DH with another its unlikely to happen. Most (decent) airlines tend to pre-block seats for parties travelling with young children so you should be seated together.

charlearose Mon 21-Jan-13 18:22:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charlearose Mon 21-Jan-13 18:23:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

permaquandry Mon 21-Jan-13 18:50:39

I booked direct with them too. I am assuming they have pretty much no concerns that we won't be together? Otherwise, they would suggest I book next best alternatives now?

Unless the back section of the plane which is completely full is the bit that's 'block booked by the airport'? Which would make sense.

preggersbycheggers Mon 21-Jan-13 22:23:15

You should all be seated together and if you aren't the ground staff are very good at Heathrow and will do all they can to accommodate you.

Have you spoken to reservations about the seating?

Oh for goodness sake it is only a flight. If they can't be sat together it doesn't matter. There are 4 of them. Ok, it is not ideal but it isn't as if they are going on different days. 2 adults, 2 children. If they can't cope with a child each for a few hours there is something wrong.

Sorry op if that is harsh but it is just a plane ride. Hopefully you will get your seats together when check in opens but no need to fret if they don't. Your children are old enough.

No, this is when the system separates me and the kids when I fly with them, we are often allocated 3 seats lies apart from each other. I do think that you might be asking too much for a whole family to be sitting together. As long as there is an adult with each child, it doesn't contravene any safety regulations so they have no obligation to change your seats. You can get up and move around the plane, kids should sleep for some of it and its public transport, hence the risk of sitting next to a stranger. I don't think you can put " not wanting to sit next to a stranger" as a reason for changing seats......

permaquandry Tue 22-Jan-13 10:40:24

Erm, well leave it there shall we?

permaquandry Tue 22-Jan-13 10:43:19

Posted too soon. Never flown more than 2 hours before, my kids would be upset to not to sit together. I was only asking, accept they might not be able to accommodate but was only investigating and hoping. Would be a much more pleasant flight to have 4 seats the kids could sprawl out on.

Thx for all the input.

Unfortunately, sprawling out and longhaul do not happen, unless you are business class. It is crowded and tight for space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now