Hotel in NYC

(19 Posts)
badgerhead Mon 21-Jan-13 15:36:42

You could look at The Grand Hyatt on East 42nd Street, between Grand Central Station & the Chrysler building. Good selection of eateries in Lexington Avenue towards 40th street so easy walking distance. Probably about $500 per night, we were there for New Year grin & that was my 3rd stay there!

homebythesea Tue 15-Jan-13 17:59:14

Recommend Staybridge Suites Times Square - walking distance to a lot of places and free breakfast which is unusual for NYC

Haven't stayed in Brooklyn, just went round there and it's fabulous, quite like Hoxton but combined with Notting Hill.

If you're a big S.A.T.C fan, don't forget to pay pilgrimage at Carrie's house in the west village, on Perry Street! As well as have cupcakes nearby at Magnolia Bakery.

petitdonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 21:42:05

Novotel is definitely on the list - thank you Julia.

Will look up all of the others and go over them with my friend.

Southeast - Brooklyn is a really good suggestion, will investigate... Is it a bit like the equivalent of staying in Hoxton? We will shop, do galleries, brunch etc during the day so are happy to travel about. It's just in the evening that we would like a range of bars and restaurants so we can elegantly stagger about drunk walk around channeling SJP...

cocolepew Mon 14-Jan-13 20:11:43

Upper West side sorry.

cocolepew Mon 14-Jan-13 20:06:51

I stayed in the Hotel Beacon, in a suite, its upper east side so not really where you want. But you can walk to Columbus Circle,along Central park past The Dakota Building in 20 minutes. It's surrounded by shops etc, but less touristy.

Have you thought about Brooklyn? Some areas there are exciting and vibrant and maybe the hotels are a bit cheaper than ones in Manhattan.

DoItToJulia Mon 14-Jan-13 19:50:26

Don't want to bang on, but the Novotel has a v. Posh lobby/bar with jazz quartets playing most nights. When I was there I was where the BA pilots and cabin crew stayed so it all seemed very 'catch me if you can' glamourous!

petitdonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 19:26:24

Love The Gansevoort and have looked at The James.... Think we will have to resign ourselves to around $500 per night and save up!!

Holiday Inn looks like a fab location but I've cashed in all my airmiles to travel First Class with BA so we are hoping to stay somewhere quite glam! (hope that doesn't sound rude or snooty, we've just been planning this trip for ages and want to pretend we are super glamorous types!!)

waitingforgodot Mon 14-Jan-13 18:34:57
petitdonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 18:26:44

Really good rate at the Novotel - thank you. £262 per night (which shared between two of us is good - benefit of travelling with a friend rather than DH!)

petitdonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 18:24:12

Sorry - that was the Affinia 50 but the Dupont is still $386.50...

DoItToJulia Mon 14-Jan-13 18:23:42

I enjoyed the Times Square Novotel. Central location, got a good deal, and a view over Times Square.

petitdonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 18:23:11

The Affinia's cheapest price is coming up at $849 per night shock

petitdonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 18:21:19

Thanks so much this is where I would like to stay but I think it's a bit too $$$

LOL at Googling Bed Bugs....

It's further than what you'd like but I loved this hotel when I was there last year:

www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Dumont

£120 a night last year.

The west and east villages and Chelsea are also great areas for nightlife but I don't know of any hotels round there, only a very good hostel (you can get your own rooms in the one I've stayed in).

It's a very expensive city so I'd be interested to see what you find.

waitingforgodot Mon 14-Jan-13 16:34:46

be sure to google "bed bugs" + hotel name before you book anything! What about The Standard?

petitdonkey Mon 14-Jan-13 14:33:34

Hi all, I am travelling to New York in November with a friend and am currently feeling overwhelmed by the choice of hotels!! We are looking for a twin room in a fun and stylish area - we can travel about in the day to sightsee but would like to be able to walk to bars and restaurants in the evening - have been looking at Soho Tribeca?

We aren't looking for budget hotels as such but my favorite so far came in at $500 per night which is a bit much!! Anything up to $300 per night would be good.

Thanks so much if you can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now