Disney Florida v Disney California

(10 Posts)
pilates Fri 18-Jan-13 19:14:39

That sounds fantastic. I'm presuming you have pre-booked your hotels along route? It looks like you have put alot of thought into your trip. Alcatraz appeals to me. Did it take long to sort out your holiday?

shesariver Wed 16-Jan-13 23:11:34

Dont worry, youre not nosey! grin

We are flying to San Francisco from Glasgow via New York, have arranged 2 nights there first so going to do the sights. My DH has always wanted to go to NY and says he wouldnt be able to stand it if all he saw was the airport changing planes!

Then we are actually driving down the Pacific coast highway - 4 nights San Francisco, 1 night Monterey, 1 night Santa Barbara, 4 nights LA and 4 nights Laguna Beach - cant wait!!!

Will be driving around looking up film locations no doubt! My 10 year old DS is just as bad, he wants to see the Golden gate Bridge because he has watched Vertigo with my DH! Plus he loves Back to the Future and has googled where all the main houses are. Going to go to Alcatraz to. Only in Monterey for a day but would like to go on the boat that spots the whales. In LA we will do the Hollywood stuff, my DH is in 7th heaven planning it all. I picked a lovely hotel in Laguna Beach, right on the beach with glorious views of the Pacific Ocean to end the holiday because I want the relaxation time to. Will probably drive to San Diego from there as it wont be too long a drive for the day.

I would think Disney can be done in 2 days, we have not been but have been to Disneyland in Paris so no desperate need to do Disney if that makes sense, not big theme park people so couldn't do a whole holiday based around these.

pilates Wed 16-Jan-13 19:29:45

thanks shesariver. I wouldn't want to spend very long there, would both disney theme parks be suitable? Could it be done in 2 days? Universal Studios in Hollywood sounds good and may be more age appropriate for the kids. Whereabouts in California are you staying? Sorry to be nosy but what other stuff are you going to be doing?

shesariver Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:11

I think it depends on how many days you want to spend at the theme parks really, there are more in Florida to and probably closer together than California. We are going to California in September and only intend to visit Universal Studios in Hollywood, simply because my DH is a big film fan and theres loads other stuff there to apart from the rides connected to the industry.

Regarding California theres a Legoland and a legoland waterpark, might be orientated to younger kids though, not sure. Theres Disneys 2 parks in Anaheim. Theres a Sea World in San Diego. Oh and Knotts Berry Farm

How long are you planning on going on holiday for? Disney you would need at least a day per park probably.

pilates Sat 12-Jan-13 14:45:58

Thanks Attila.

What theme parks in CA would be suitable for the children and how many days would we need to allocate out of our holiday? Also Im presuming the nice beaches are not near the theme park and so would it be better to stay near the beaches or does it pay to be near the theme parks? Would a villa or hotel be better? Sorry for all the questions.

FL is low risk for tornadoes and is not situated near Tornado Alley in the US. You are more likely to get daily thunderstorms (heavy but brief) in the Orlando area in August and the humidity levels are high too.

CA is further but will not be humid (just hot instead).

You can certainly fly direct to Los Angeles from Heathrow airport, carriers like BA and Virgin there daily.

pilates Sat 12-Jan-13 09:54:45

Thanks. Yes I was thinking of the humidity in Florida and also is July/Aug more risk of tornadoes? Can you get direct flights to CA from London?

lljkk Sat 12-Jan-13 09:35:54

Florida is a lot closer and I think it might be generally cheaper.
I am from CA and FA Disneyland just feels all wrong to me, probably the higher humidity.
Space Centre in FA is fantastic, too.

loopyluna Sat 12-Jan-13 09:27:26

We chose Florida as my DC are Harry Potter fans and desperately want to go to the Harry Potter park at Universal.
I would have been tempted to look into California otherwise.

pilates Sat 12-Jan-13 09:19:48

I am thinking of having a family holiday to USA with my two children 12 and 9 in July/August this year and need help deciding between the two. Although we would like to do the theme parks for children we also need some relaxation time. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of each?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now