Any hotel recommendations for Patong Phuket please.....

(6 Posts)
Shanghaidiva Fri 18-Jan-13 13:42:23

If you afe really keen on Phuket then go to the north of the island (near the airport). The Indigo Pearl is nice and there is a mariott in the area too. Quiet area, no night clubs, small restaurants on the beach, not sleazy at all.

charlearose Thu 17-Jan-13 12:50:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I'd also recommend staying clear of that area. Unfortunately seedy bars are legion pretty much everywhere on the high streets and beaches.

The northern shore (from Surin and traveling north towards Phangan bay & Krabi) is much better but you'd be resort bound. Its more upmarket and downright trendy around Surin.

Agree Krabi and Koh Lanta have a laid back feel and are more conservative areas so getting out of the resort and eating locally is a nicer experience with kids.

Koh Samui is really nice but weather is best may/september

If you want great beaches and local life try Hoi Ann in Vietnam. Miles of pristine beach, tailboats and day trips to local islands and a lovely conservation town for evening dinners. Car free and super kid friendly. Lots of local artists, tailors night market and delicious restaurants.
You'd have to fly via Hanoi or Ho chi Minh or singapore.

TessDurbeyfield Tue 15-Jan-13 14:00:12

If you want to go to that area I would go further down the coast to krabi or koh lanta. Much more family friendly.

OhlimpPricks Sun 13-Jan-13 17:05:57

Avoid Phuket/patong beach, karon beach unless you like wandering amongst a market place of prostitutes. It is so in your face.
We first went 20 years ago, 3 years on the trot, and loved it.
Returned 4 years ago and counted the hours till we left. Any time DH was alone, he was approached by young girls offering to screw him for £10...and when he declined offered him 'younger' girls
You are surrounded by 60 year old Western European men walking round with (hopefully at least) 16 year old Thai girls, taking them to bars, and earning. Commission from the Mamas who run the bars.
Sure there are some pretty places in Thailand, but I would rather not spend money in a country whose government are very aware of what goes on, but are loathe to stop it as sex tourism brings in a Lot of money for the economy.
Phuket nightlife

Longdistance Fri 11-Jan-13 15:39:48

Anyone been? Would love some recommendations.

We're thinking of going here for a holiday. The hotel needs to be child friendly with a kids club. Our dc will be 3.6 and 21months.

We want things close by, but not on the doorstep iykwim, and somewhere with atmosphere. On the beach preferably.

I've seen a few through travel agents, but want to design my own holiday.

We live in Oz btw, so we're only going for a week or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now