New England

(10 Posts)
magicrat Mon 07-Jan-13 14:51:13

Thinking about going to Boston this summer them hiring a car and heading up to Maine. Anyone been? Got any recommendations?

jkklpu Mon 07-Jan-13 23:09:13

Deer Island (Maine) is gorgeous
White Mountains (NH) also lovely - went in the fall and was amazing. Boston itself is a fantastic city to visit.

ihatethecold Tue 08-Jan-13 12:08:35

love Boston, really beautiful, good shopping too, nice aquarium. im jealous!

magicrat Wed 09-Jan-13 08:53:50

Thanks!

LIZS Wed 09-Jan-13 08:55:01

Kennebunkport - great seafood.

JetlagandMayhem Fri 11-Jan-13 14:33:16

Hi there
My sister did that exact trip and wrote some great reviews of her trip for my kids travel website.
Due to mumsnet regulations, I don't think I'm allowed to post the link to my blog here but if you message me direct, I can send you the details.
She had an awesome time!

Pedallleur Fri 25-Jan-13 14:13:29

New Hampshire and especially Vermont are lovely. Boston had the 'Big Dig' last time I was there (huge roadworks) but was lovely (Mikes Pastries - italian cake paradise!!). Quite a long drive up to Maine. Some lovely coastline to visit.

I did a three week driving trip a good few years back, but I also go to Boston for work a lot.

We visited Maine because I'd read so many cheesy Stephen King books I wanted to see the places grin

Generally the best time to visit New England is for Fall due to the autumnal colours and foliage.

3 or 4 days in Boston - follow the walking trails, go whale watching, take in the city, out to Havard, Bunker Hill etc would suffice. Salem is a pretty interesting stop - to learn about the witch trials, Kennebunkport also.

Maine has some lovely lakeside stops and Ogunquit beach is quite nice.

I enjoyed Rhode Island, Martha's vineyard and loved Cape Cod - hoping I can one day get a month off and rent a beach property there with DS a la Amity Island!

I bought a Fodors guidebook to New England, you can google "Drive New England" for some road trip ideas too. Virgin also give you good routes and hotel tips?

fresh Sun 10-Feb-13 21:40:33

We were in Boston at Oct half term (same time as Hurricane Sandy shock) and then drove up to spend 3 nights in Portland. Loved Boston, loved Maine even though much of the tourist stuff was shut. Portland was a good base for exploring, we made it as far as Bath in the north although I wish we'd gone further as Boothbay Harbor looks wonderful. Can recommend The Danforth in Portland to stay in.

We were thinking of going back this summer, but are now looking at Seattle and Portland Oregon instead. But will def go back to Maine/Boston at some point.

Pedallleur Wed 13-Feb-13 21:25:11

I went up from Boston thro' Vermont and then back down via NH. Stunning scenery and worth driving through to Stocksbridge via the Berkshire mountains if only to get what James Taylor sang about in 'Sweet Baby James'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now