Flight to NZ with 18mo - Bottle at Bedtime

(8 Posts)
JetlagandMayhem Fri 11-Jan-13 15:01:10

I've always found airlines to be really helpful in giving milk for my kids. Just to be on safe side, it's worth calling Boots airside and pre-ordering some Aptamil toddler milk cartons (you pick these up after security). That way if you can't get hold of air stewardess etc, you know you've got milk on hand. It's also useful at your destination in case there are times when you haven't had the chance to get out to buy milk. Happy flying!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 11-Jan-13 14:59:26

Take aptamil ready made in screw top bottles. If you take cartons you will have nothing to cut them open with.

Mutley77 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:54:50

I would ask on board - or get it sorted at a cafe once you are through security.

Tbh when we did night flight to Oz with my DD at age 2, she fell asleep with her milk in the pushchair (flight took off at about 10pm which I think is normal) before boarding and I carried her onboard asleep, took off, and she never woke up until about 6 hours into the flight! Was very lucky though, certainly couldn't have expected it! But she wouldn't have waited until 10pm for her millk in any case.

HTH

MiniEggsinJanuary Wed 09-Jan-13 08:18:21

Why not take formula powder? Then you won't have all the faff of opening the cartons at security. We did NZ with little DCs and the cabin crew were really helpful. Do you have a sky cot seat?

SeashellHoarder Wed 09-Jan-13 08:13:32

I've asked for milk for our toddler on a flight before - they did this happily - but it was semi skimmed and the toddler didn't like it.

I would take a carton of Aptamil. But unless you are going to give it to them straight away you will need to take 2 cartons. Airport Security will make you open and taste 50% off your baby milk and it can only be open for 2 hrs before feeding.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:05:51

or use one of the departure loung cafes' microwaves to heat it a bit more than usual so it has cooled when you get on the plane.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:04:13

carton of aptimil? or buy a small bottle of milk at boots in departure lounge so you know it is fresh. I'm sure the airline will warm it for you. carton of aptimil at room temp should be ok as a standby though.

My 18mo is breastfed during the day but has a bottle of cows milk at bedtime. Am doing a night flight to NZ and wondered what to do about this bottle. Should I take a bottle with milk in it from home (how to keep cool for a few hours) and ask them to heat up? Or should I ask when airbourne for them to fill a bottle with milk? They may not get to us for a while due to duties after take-off. Or take a carton of pre-mixed formula (he has had it in the past) and hope they can warm it up once in the air? Help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now