California in winter?

(8 Posts)
lljkk Fri 04-Jan-13 20:27:18

The queues are terrible the fortnight around Christmas itself. DH had a great day there with DC on about 12th December, though.

We had a great New Year's Day at Sea World, too, that's a good day to visit some, I reckon.

TheNameisNOTZiggy Fri 04-Jan-13 20:21:15

I went to CA Christmas 2011 & swam in outdoor pools. It was lovely & I am a fair weather girl, so not that hardy!
LA at lunchtime was warm enough for a dip but we wore t shirts & jeans around town and definitely needed a jacket in the morning & evening.
Palm desert was lovely around lunchtime too but jackets needed at night.
Go for it. (& just think the queues at universal studios & Disney will be much smaller than in the summer too)

lljkk Fri 04-Jan-13 17:12:34

I suppose I am used to the North Sea.
Coastal waters in CA come down from Alaska, so can be cold, but not worse than North Sea, I reckon.

Winter SoCal & Summer North Sea temp ranges overlap.

Fluffy1234 Fri 04-Jan-13 17:06:35

I found it a bit colder than British summer time, more like a British Easter holiday but I do live in the south of England.

lljkk Fri 04-Jan-13 17:01:40

Would be like planning a British beach holiday in British summer time, really. If you would swim then, you're just as likely to swim in CA.

I once had a freezing swim in St. Petersburg FA in November.

Fluffy1234 Fri 04-Jan-13 15:14:15

We went to California for a few days pre cruise during Feb half term a few years ago with children a similar age to yours. The hotel pool wasn't usable as to cold. There was plenty of other things to do but if swimming is your thing I wouldn't go in the winter. To explain the temperature , the first day I wore three quarter length trousers and a fleece, one day jeans and a much needed rainmac and one day three quarter lengths and a t shirt.

Temps in CA have been in the high 50s low 60s this month so it may well feel too cold to use an outdoor swimming pool. I would go to CA in the summertime.

Warmest part of the US this time of year tends to be either Hawaii or Florida, in particular Miami. Orlando further north can feel cooler both in day and evening.

Isityouorme Wed 02-Jan-13 19:57:01

We are thinking of going to California for Christmas and was wondering if it would be too chilly to enjoy it properly? I know it won't be freezing but often pools aren't heated and we do love swimming, so would this put you off? Going with 2 kids aged 7 and 10. Would we be better off going in the summer instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now