Hawaii with a 4 & 2 yr old

(8 Posts)
Leavehim Wed 02-Jan-13 19:15:32

Anyone been? Have chance of going to visit family.
Would it be to much trouble with the little ones?

I have been there, which Island are you thinking of going to?.

Oahu is a very busy Island, the other islands are much quieter in comparison.

You would have to break the journey (its not possible to do this in just one day as the flight connections would not fit) and the flight duration from the West Coast to the Islands is a further 6 hours. Also AA and Hawaiian airlines (you cannot book direct with Hawaiian but would need to use their sole UK agent instead) would charge you bag fees for the second and any other suitcases.

Its a long way to go but its worth a visit.

PeriPathetic Thu 03-Jan-13 09:42:53

It's a fabulous place. But it is VERY far. Make the most of it by spending a lot of time there otherwise you will be utterly shattered from jet lag / travel lag.

Leavehim Thu 03-Jan-13 15:56:00

We would need to fly to Maui. Then onto kapalua.
Would love to go. Children well traveled having been to oz twice.
Seems like it would take as long to get to as Sydney!!

IIRC you can get a direct flight to Kahului airport on Maui from one of the West Coast US airports on either AA or Hawaiian airlines. You could also try booking with American Airlines as UK customers CANNOT make bookings via Hawaiian Airlines website.

Maui roads are single lane highways so driving to Kapalua will be okay particularly in daylight hours.

All in all it will involve two flights; one to the West Coast (that's about 10 hours) and a second one to the Islands (that's around 6 hours). Not quite as far as Sydney but its still a long way. You cannot do this journey in a day as the flight connections will not fit; there will need to be an overnight stopover on the West Coast before flying on the next morning.

LuciaLucas Sun 13-Jan-13 18:20:55

It is possible to book flights through the Hawaiin Airlines website if you live in the UK. Here's how...

Book in the usual way
In the payment section choose USA as country of residence
Enter your UK address and city/town
Select a US state and zip code (we used ones of a US relative, but any would do)
Enter your credit card details as usual

Make a note of the booking reference and a day later check in Manage Bookings and the flightvshoul be confirmed.

You can double check with your CC company to make sure the payment has gone through.

We have successfully booked return flights to Maui this year and last through their site. Once you have an account with them i think it gets easier. You even get to collect miles with them.

Best of luck.

Would not recommend that method for UK residents. We chose the flights that were required and got HAs official UK agent to book it for us; it was all confirmed the day after.

LuciaLucas Mon 14-Jan-13 14:11:26

Dont know why Attila wouldn't recommend my suggestion. I am a UK resident. As i said we have booked flights to maui twice using this method with no problems. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try, you will be saving pounds if it works.

I initially found out about this method when we had the same problem. A quick search on google found the solution i posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now