Is Barbados with a 20 month old for 10 days too much?

(14 Posts)
Lamby80 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:43:07

Hi
Now xmas is out of the way, i am thinking of booking a holiday. It would be december when we go and our DS will be 20 months old. We can go for 10 days. Is that too much for him do you think keeping in mind the long flight and time difference?
If we think its a go-er, any recommendations for accommodation on the west coast would be great! Pref not all inclusive as we like to get out and about.
Jo

susanann Tue 01-Jan-13 20:47:38

My concern would be would he cope with the temperature? Long flight would probably be a nightmare too tbh! Sorry I wouldnt go. Sorry you probably dont want to hear that.

Snazzynewyear Tue 01-Jan-13 20:47:53

My DS has been quite affected by jet lag each time we've done a long haul flight, which has been below and above the age your DS will be. Its effects have certainly lasted for more than 10 days. But then you've said 'is that too much for him' - don't know whether you are thinking you could go for a shorter period or not go at all. Would you expect to have any help there (either family or babysitting etc)?
I will be interested to see what others say. It's not an age I would have really liked to do a long-haul flight at, since kids that age are usually mobile but won't sit still for long, making a long flight not very enjoyable.

Lamby80 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:56:55

Thanks for your responses. It would be 10 days or not at all. He has flown a couple of times and have a couple of trips booked this year but they are all short haul. My main concern is not the heat but the jet lag. He doesnt much like his night routine being disrupted as he is quite routine led at the moment. I am quite confused about what to do - its a lot of money to spend and i dont want to waste it!!

MrsDeVere Tue 01-Jan-13 20:58:07

Yes it is!
Take me instead.
Please....

We took ds1 to Barbados to an all inclusive resort for a week when he was 28mths, it was great. The flight was approx 9hrs so its not long long haul and while it wasn't what I'd call fun, it wasn't horrendous either. The flight home was worse because it was a night flight so we got stressed about him disturbing people who were trying to sleep, in the daytime flight out there there was a buzz of noise that meant he wasn't annoying anyone (except us wink)

Jet lag wasn't an issue, ds was still having daytime naps and adapted pretty easily to the time difference which again, isn't like going to LA or Sydney. Weather was amazing, every time I have been to the Carribean there is always a lovely breeze and often a little cloud at some point so you don't feel like you are roasting, just be careful with sun screen and plenty to drink. Blissful.

The only downside we found was ds1 didn't like the kids club we tried for an hour or two on first day, we felt bad about leaving him so apart from when he napped one of us had to keep him entertained, lovely but not much time for dh and I to relax and chat together. The second issue was evenings, we didn't want to leave him with a babysitter we didn't know so walked him for aages in pushchair to get him to sleep so we could go for a peaceful dinner. One night he totally refused (he's never keen to go to sleep at the best of times) and we ended up eating bad room service food on our balcony while he slept in cot...would have been better if we hadn't been close to the disco grin

So in conclusion to my v long post blush - yes to Barbados, well worth the effort of the flight, but for us it would have been better self catering (would have been easier to put ds1 to bed and cook/eat outside than have to go to restaurants) and/or with friend with kid(s) who you could share child entertainment and babysitting with.

bobby1989 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:12:53

I think so. I went away with my 16 month old and 3 year old for 2 weeks and after doing everything in 5 days I was ready to pull my hair.out. there was no time to relax it was 2 hot they wouldn't sleep we ended up going out for breakfast n a walk in the morning then sitting in the apartment all day where they were cool and safe. It was horrible. I've just booked to got away for 5 days in Apr June and September. It will be much more fun and we have lots to look forward to

We went to Barbados when our DC were 8 and 6 . We thought we were being brave and adventurous , there were loads of small children and babies .

We went to the Almond Beach Resort , which was an all inclusive family resort , and it was amazing .
Sadly I don't know if it's still there , maybe a name change ?

The kids club had the most lovely , sweet Nannies , the Waiting staff so kind , if a baby fell asleep on a seat in a restaurant , shrug ? No problem

The Carribean is the best place to go on holiday , ever , any age .

Willdoitinaminute Tue 01-Jan-13 21:24:42

Make sure your accommodation has air conditioning and you will have no problem with the heat. The west coast has lovely beaches and the sea is calm and luke warm so ideal for cooling down little ones.
There are some nice boutique hotels along the west coast. Holetown is a pleasant town with a good shopping centre and it has a number of restaurants and bars. Haven't been over there for a few years but intend to return soon now our DS is old enough to enjoy swimming and snorkelling. In fact the last time we were there I was pregnant with him.

Supershiv1 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:42:34

Oooh willdoitinaminute.....how far gone were you when you went to Barbados? And were you ok with everything?

susanann Wed 02-Jan-13 15:56:35

Re the temperatures, when we went there was no breeze at all. It was stifflingly hot. And yes they have air con/fans but not outside! I really wouldnt take a baby/toddler.

It was the Almond Beach Resort as posted above.

They had fantastic child care for very small children. We got married there when our son was 22 months old. Am still in touch with the nannies and DS is now 7!

DS slept through both flights on Virgin - one day, one night. A little spoon of Calpol pre boarding can help with painful ears.

I'd recommend a resort with childcare. I didn't feel guilty about leaving DS, he loved it, there were loads of toys and activities and it was air conditioned.

We have no other family,gp's etc and dh and I have had a total of 3 nights away together in 7 years. Why feel guilty about having 3-4 hours off for a few days. Plus, if you put your ds to bed, there are nannies that will sit in your room while you go and eat together for a few hours.

akaemmafrost Wed 02-Jan-13 18:09:40

Well all our family members have taken their respective dc ranging between a couple of months to age 9 out to the Middle East for anywhere between five days to a couple of weeks and it's been absolutely fine.

I'd do it.

LAlady Wed 02-Jan-13 19:42:30

We first took DS when he was 12 months old. Since then when he was 4 and DD 2 etc. Absolutely fine - they adapt to the heat and recover from her lag much easier than we do - my children love Barbados and have been back a number of times.

I'd recommend a seat on the plane though for babies/toddlers.

We've stayed at Crystal Cove a couple of times which is lovely but Turtle Beach Resort is even more geared up for children. Have stayed there four times with the children.

Almond Beach closed down last year. Financial issues I understand.

Loads to do too outside the hotel - Barbados Wildlife Reserve is great. Harrison's Caves and a turtle cruise are great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now