Jet-lag for a 5-month-old

(4 Posts)
travelisforlife Sat 29-Dec-12 16:42:27

DH's family are having a 2-week large-extended-family holiday in Florida next summer, to celebrate various milestones in the family. I'd love for us to go, but we're expecting our first baby in January, and I'm worried about the time-zone change (we're in the UK).

My big worry is that the baby will just be figuring out the difference between day and night at that point, and if we suddenly confuse everything by changing time zones by 6 hours - twice in 2 weeks - then we could end up with an extra 6 months of sleepless nights confused.

And if the confusion over sleep generally makes the baby a bit miserable while we're over there, then that wouldn't be great for any of us. But this is our first, so I could just be being completely paranoid!

Has anyone done a trip with similar time-zone change at that age? How did it work out?

GrumpySod Sat 29-Dec-12 17:25:01

hahahahahahaaha.
that's all I'm going to say.
Oh and:
Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

travelisforlife Sun 30-Dec-12 17:34:20

?! confused

Are you saying
a) That there's no chance that the baby will have any idea of day or night at 5 months anyway so it won't make any difference
or
b) That doing a 2-week trip to a very different time zone at 5 months would be a bad idea

Any actual advice (rather than just scare-mongering) would be appreciated.
Thanks

GrumpySod Sun 30-Dec-12 19:16:25

You can read lots of previous MN threads to sample wider opinion.

Wider MN opinion is that jetlag doesn't exist, it takes 5 mintues for everyone in the family to adjust regardless of age. No matter how many time zones you cross. Okay, maybe not 5 minutes, but no more than 24 hours. So you have nothing to worry about. If you believe them.

My experience is that it takes a week to get over jet lag, and that's for everyone. Not really over at that point, either, just finally back onto a semblance of local hours. I don't feel like I get into an argument so don't bother to elaborate much any more on MN. Go with Wider Opinion if you prefer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now