South African Safari ....Oh No, I've upset my hubby. HELP !!!!!

(64 Posts)
Tillyboo Fri 23-Nov-12 20:49:45

My dh really wants us to go on a 9 day trip to Safari with out 9yo dd to South Africa. He knows I don't want to do this but is convinced I'd love it. I don't want to go. He's got a luxury co. to prepare an itinerary staying in two luxury lodge resorts to tempt me BUT I really, really don't want to go. It's a lovely thought &

I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity and I feel guilty now but I am firm on the fact. I also wondering if it's a suitable holiday for a 9yo girl who won't have any peers around her to keep her company or play with ...

I'd really appreciate some thoughts or experiences on this. Am I being unreasonable ? I wouldn't push my hubby into doing something if I knew he didn't want to/ have an interest in, just because I did.
Should I feel guilty ?
Am I denying my dh & dd.
Agh ! I was expecting this to come up sooner or later ...

MorrisZapp Mon 26-Nov-12 11:31:39

How rude are you, Holla?

Personally I wouldn't go on a safari even if it was free. I would hate it. Holidays are meant to be fun.

GlobeDU Mon 26-Nov-12 12:16:08

Hi Tillyboo,

As a tour operator based in South Africa I thought I would give you some assistance with some constructive information regarding travelling in South Africa.

A Safari doesnt have to be a bad/boring experience. There are many kinds of safari's available in South Africa and a number of these are tailored for families with children. My advise if you are worried about having to wait to see animals or malaria is to rather choose a safari destination that is
a- not in a malaria area of South Africa
b- a reserve that is not too far away from other attractions that all members of the family will enjoy
c- take into consideration the weather during the time you are wanting to visit South Africa (remember that the rainy season is different from the Western Cape vs the rest of the country)

A good way of experiencing a safari but at the same time enjoying the shops/beaches/sight-seeing and more is to choose a destination like Cape Town/Stellenbosch OR Port Elizabeth OR outskirts of Durban OR outskirts of Pretoria/Johannesburg.

Personally I would suggest Cape Town/Stellenbosch due to the wide range of things to do for both adults and children and then have a day or weekend trip to a nearby Game Reserve. This way, you are also able to let your dh & dd go for the safari adventure whilst you go for the pamper-treatment, but at the same time being able to enjoy a family holiday together with the rest of the activities/attractions.

Feel free to contact me if you would like suggestions or help with this.
You are also welcome to visit http://www.globe-d-u.com/packages/south-africa/western-cape.html for ideas of what all you can do/see when in Cape Town/Stellenbosch if you choose this option :-)

Just remember that a family vacation needs to be tailored in a way that each family member gets a chance to do what they like most but at the same time include things that the family as a whole can enjoy together too.

Wail

This thread is making me nostalgic.

I love the Kruger.

I have the SANParks webcams as a favourite on my laptop and spend many happy hours watching the wildlife.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 26-Nov-12 12:46:04

wail.

this thread is making me feel skint.

we didnt have any holiday this year. It must be nice to have this type of dilemma while holiday planning - i am hoping that we will get a week as a family next year but i will be in devon, but i would just appreciate some time away with the family to enjoy each others company.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 26-Nov-12 12:46:36

*it

Congratulations on enjoying family holidays.

We always argue. Mainly about the dog.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 26-Nov-12 12:52:58

ours comes with us. smile

So does ours - which is why we argue.,

Not to SA of course. That would be silly. DH stays at home with him.

<organised>

legalalien Mon 26-Nov-12 13:23:56

We went to the western cape for a week with ds aged 7, it was great ( whales and sharks not big 5). I have bookmarked this place as being child friendly if I ever get a chance to do the safari thing

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g471868-d507256-r143888244-Tuningi_Safari_Lodge-Madikwe_Game_Reserve_North_West_Province.html#REVIEWS

From what I can gather the big issue with taking children, apart from malaria drugs etc, is that the game drives take place early morning and evening and there's a fair bit of down time in between. This place is malaria free and promises to occupy kids during the day.

Dustylaw Wed 28-Nov-12 23:28:45

Please look up Ant's Nest and Horizon (both v close to each other in the Waterberg region of South Africa) and call either In the Saddle or Aardvark. You can have safety, luxury, fun, safari, horse riding and a great family holiday.

givemeaclue Fri 30-Nov-12 12:27:34

What did the op decide in the end?

Tillyboo Thu 20-Dec-12 00:45:26

Holla .. I am NOT spoilt ! Do not judge. You do not know the facts surrounding this opportunity. I could share the reasons but will choose to stay dignified and keep my silence.

The subject of the holiday has not been broached since & that's the way I'd like to keep it.

Question for you, would you do something you were really against doing ?

Tillyboo Thu 20-Dec-12 00:47:37

I'd just like to say thank you to those who offered constructive replies whether they agreed with me or not, especially GlobeDU for your very concise advice.

LittleBairn Fri 21-Dec-12 11:22:55

Tilly I totally get the issue.
My DH LOVES cruises, went on many before we met. He constantly tries to put presure on me to 'just try one' but if I know I will hate it then why should I?

One of my reasons is the whole noro virus issue everytime I weaken a little it pops back up on the news about a ship in lockdown.

I for one would absoulutely love a Northen Lights sort of holiday (I too remember the Joannna Lumly program!) but DH refuses to consider it, if its cold when your on Holiday then its not a holiday in his mind.

Marriage is about compromise by choosing to bind your life to someone else's there will be compromise therefore we might not get our 'dream' holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now