Anyone sold up and gone travelling?....

(8 Posts)
specialsubject Wed 19-Dec-12 20:46:15

that's what I did - and basically it all worked out beautifully.

PM me if you want to discuss more.

MissNJE Wed 19-Dec-12 13:09:22

Can you not rent out your home while being abroad? Why go trough the hassle of selling it? That's what I would do.

clam Tue 11-Dec-12 12:10:28

Well, my immediate thought, with my "sensible" hat on, is, what will you do when you get back? Fabulous experiences for sure, but how will you get back on the housing ladder afterwards? If that's not an issue for whatever reason, then look into it and go! smile

leannac Thu 22-Nov-12 21:44:55

We have an 18 month old & are 26 wks pregnant with Number 2 & plan to do the same thing in about 18 months time. Life's too short to spend as little time together as we do. Go for it!

Badvocsanta Wed 21-Nov-12 11:10:19

Wow, thanks, will check that book out!

sagalsmith Wed 21-Nov-12 11:08:15

Try reading 4 hour work week- Tim Ferriss- there are examples of people who've done it, also his blog may put you in touch who knows...
The only problem with this scenario is that you could possibly price yourself out of UK housing market (there's always a chance you want to return). Also, gut feelings state that £30k is not enough. How about renting your home, selling all unnecessary possessions to raise money, learning a transferable skill eg teaching English? Also depends if you want to home school (a lot of support out there but I'd go crazy) or send kids to local schools. Its something we've thought of recently (dd 3&4) but in a position where we have invested many years in property and so able to do it easier.
I don't check this often so if you have more questions, pm me and we could even speak. If you're in London, there are meetup groups for 4 hr as well. Another thing we do is home swaps- about to go on our 3rd this year. Could be a good in between solution.

I haven't done it with Ds (yet) but me and Dp went away for nearly 2 years in 2009 -2011. We both felt fed up with work and were working very long hours. We earnt good money but never had time to do anything with it and nevery saw each other. We had a brilliant time and met loads of people our age (mid 30s) and above travelling with and without dc. We saw places we probably wouldn't get to see on a 2 week holiday and feel privileged that we got the chance to do it. We didn't have loads saved so we worked a few times while we were away by flying back to Europe for summer work.

Ds is 8 months and we are already planning a trip for when he's out of nappies smile

Badvocsanta Tue 20-Nov-12 11:36:19

Just wondering...
Dh started a new role at work which means more foreign travel - which he loves - but leaves me at home alone with our 2 dc.
We have both turned 40 this year and I am aware what I am feeling is probably the classic MLC smile
We could sell our house and car and have - after paying off cc - about £30k which isn't much I know.
Ds1 is 9 and in year 5 and ds2 is 4 and is starting reception next year.
I know it's a pipe dream...but I also know people, do actually do this.
If you have can i
I ask why, how and was it all you hoped?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now