Preparing for longhaul (Ireland to NZ) with 5 week old FF baby

(7 Posts)
Zara1984 Wed 21-Nov-12 08:35:56

Yes whowould that's a really good idea!! I am also packing the pre-made cartons (as well as powder) so I will make sure I have a bottle made up for him before we start boarding.

Hoping that he will take the bottle or a dummy during take-off & climb or I think he will howl confused

Whowouldfardelsbear Wed 21-Nov-12 06:56:44

Make sure you get a bottle made up whe you are through security (one of the cafes should do you boiled water) so your baby can have a drink when you first get on the plane and are waiting around to take off. It can sometimes be a while after you are airborne for the flight stewards to be up and able to get things for you.

Zara1984 Wed 21-Nov-12 06:12:07

Thank you, thanks esp merrychristmoose for the link to that TSA info!

MerryChristMoose Thu 15-Nov-12 16:09:25

I am sure we just got cabin Crewe to give us hot water 30 mins before feed so it could cool and we could mix safely.

Ok, a couple of suggestions for you

Take an empty butty box and ask the cabin Crewe to fill with cold water (or you could do this yourself after security before boarding). Take Milton tablets with you and your normal bottles. Means you can sterilise easily during the flight. Cabin Crewe will give you hot water. It is boiling though so you can wash out bottles and sterilise as you need.

If you take powder with you you need to ask for the hot water from Crewe well in advance to let it cool down to mix. Personally I would take cartons with me for at least the leg to LAX as it is so much easier. I haven't flown through lax only Singapore to Australia when ds was that size. I was able to take cartons but I am not sure what lax policy is. Powder may be your best option. You can buy a per measured tub in boots.

Zara1984 Tue 13-Nov-12 15:33:24

Hi all

Am travelling to NZ at the end of the month with DS who will be 5 weeks at that stage. The plan was to breastfeed but that hasn't worked at all sad so now am trying to figure out what I need to do/pack to formula feed him. It's making my head spin because I did not plan at all on having to formula feed and now I'm having to figure all this out on top of figuring out how to look after a baby generally confused

We are flying Air NZ, transiting thru Heathrow & LAX.

From other threads/research I understand its not so safe to make up powdered formula on the plane - due to getting access to cool boiled water etc, and having access to sterilised bottles for 30+ hours travel. The prepacked Aptamil cartons (but with what disposable bottle?! I can't seem to find any that are suitable for babies younger than 3 months!) or SMA easy feed 250ml bottles + pre-sterilised teats seem good - but by the sounds of things they will get taken off me by Heathrow security. I know I can reserve pre-made liquid baby food at the airside Boots, but what happens when I get to LAX?? Will LAX security let me take eg unopened SMA easyfeed 250ml bottles in my carry-on? I'm going to need quite a lot of premade stuff for that length of flight.

HELP!!!!! Has anyone else done this?? About to call the airline but I'm not entirely confident that the person at the call centre is going to know what I should do...

Going to post this in breast & bottle feeding too....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now