We are off to California!!

(222 Posts)
shesariver Mon 05-Nov-12 09:26:01

After many hours research and lots of help from fellow Mumsnetters on my previous thread now cant quite believe that we are all booked up (through Trailfinders) so thanks again!

Final Itinerary worked out - we fly out from Glasgow next August 31st and spend 2 nights in New York, and then fly onto California.

4 nights San Francisco, then pick up a car - 1 night Monterey - 1 night in Santa Barbara (at a lovely hotel right across from the beach) - 4 nights Los Angeles - and last but not least 4 nights in an ocean front room in a hotel on Laguna Beach!

Now we can start planning all we want to do!

webwiz Mon 31-Dec-12 11:19:54

That sounds expensive Style its cheaper if you don't fly at the weekend or if you go with a carrier other than Virgin/BA. We are changing on the way back so that we can come back from Las Vegas and arrive back at Heathrow (flights to SF are from Heathrow and flights from Las Vegas are from Gatwick) and that has brought the cost down as well.

Your itinerary looks good - plenty of time for a splash in the pool or on the beach as well as time visiting places.

Stylelostinlabour Mon 31-Dec-12 12:04:29

thanks webwiz, are we too late for good deals do you think for flights? and do you use any particular websites or is it best to phone round old style.

sorry for so many questiosn so excited I haven't moved from the computer for days planning...

ssd Mon 31-Dec-12 12:04:31

girls, dont forget to visit san diego, absolutely beautiful

Stylelostinlabour Mon 31-Dec-12 13:28:34

OK will add it onto my list - at this rate i'll need a month!

Stylelostinlabour Mon 31-Dec-12 13:46:03

Do you have any recommendations for accomodation in San Diego please?

Earlybird Mon 31-Dec-12 14:35:37

We stayed here in San Diego March 2012:

www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g60750-d79868-Reviews-Bay_Club_Hotel_Marina-San_Diego_California.html

The rooms are clean and spacious, though decor is in need of an update. Parking is easy and free (a real hidden cost), and a big breakfast buffet is included in the price.

Definitely not a high end luxury place, but comfortable, well situated, and reasonably priced. We would definitely stay there again.

webwiz Mon 31-Dec-12 14:53:16

We only booked the flights a few days ago - I think DH found them through Opodo and then booked the same ones directly with the airline (you can't always check in online and choose seats if you book through a third party). Don't ask me who we are flying with as I wasn't listening blush the process was becoming very long, drawn out and painful.

We have stayed in a chain hotel in San Diego -
www.comfortinn.com/hotel-san_diego-california-CA462?source=gglocalai

We had a two bedroomed suite but I think its been remodelled since we went so I'm not sure if they are still available.

It was cheap and cheerful with a scrum at breakfast time for the enormous muffins. The location was good though, we had a week there and went to sea world and the zoo and wildlife park as well as eating out in the old town and in the gaslight district.

Chopstheduck Mon 31-Dec-12 15:01:39

We've booked the best western yacht harbour. It's right across from the marina so looks gorgeous.

Chopstheduck Mon 31-Dec-12 15:03:34

linky

I want to go NOW <<stamps foot>> August is aaages away yet sad

Have you checked air new Zealand? Most of our friends who have visited us in LA this year have managed to travel with them from London for about £450 or less each

Stylelostinlabour Mon 31-Dec-12 15:14:33

Oh thanks for the link to the best western I had just noted that down before looking back on here.

Not looked at New Zealand flights but off to do now...

Thank you everyone to say I'm a bit excited is an understatement really must get out of PJ's

Isityouorme Wed 02-Jan-13 19:53:39

Can I add Cheesecake Factory to list of restaurants to visit ... There is one in LA. It is heavenly!

Chopstheduck Wed 02-Jan-13 20:04:01

Mmmmm Cheesecake Factory! It's practically a whole meal in cake form, the portion are so big.

Isityouorme Wed 02-Jan-13 20:07:46

Their food is as amazing! So so nice .... Has to be one of my all time fave places to eat! Joint with Longhorn Steakhouse and Outback.....

Chopstheduck Wed 02-Jan-13 20:27:37

Breakfast are my favourite thing about America - Denny's, Waffle House, iHop, drool!

Isityouorme Wed 02-Jan-13 20:30:11

Their hash browns, eggs, bacon, syrup, sausage links..... What a way to start the day!

newpup Wed 02-Jan-13 21:15:00

We are off to California in July. San Fran for 4 nights then onto los Angeles and San diego. This thread is making me so excited!

Seriously if you need any recs for food/bars/stuff to do I live in LA so pm me!

Cheesecake factory is good but there are some aaaaaaaaaaamazubg diners and, and you must eat Mexican and Japanese food while you're here, sushi here is incredible

Chopstheduck Thu 03-Jan-13 09:12:54

ooh, poster AmericasTorturedBrow do you have any recommendations for a naice dinner? It's my 35th birthday the day after we land, so hopefully to go somewhere nice.

Chopstheduck Thu 03-Jan-13 09:14:32

NOT japanese, dh doesn't like sushi, but maybe mexican, chinese or even something typically californian would be nice.

SamsGoldilocks Thu 03-Jan-13 09:26:53

Chops - it sounds like you might be going to a lot of national parks on your trip. It might be worth getting an eagle pass which reduces the cost of getting into them.

upinthehills Thu 03-Jan-13 09:36:53

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but the Getty is really worth a visit. Stunning views over LA. It's free to get in and $15 for parking. It was busy when we went, and there was a car booking system, but it seems from the website here that you don't need to prebook any more.

Six Flags Magic mountain is also fun, also north of LA

Chopstheduck Thu 03-Jan-13 10:31:25

the getty looks lovely, and thanks for the eagle pass tip.

We're planning visiting the Canyon, a day thru death valley, a couple of days in Yosemite, and somewhere around san francisco for the redwood trees. would it be worth it?

rubyrubyruby Thu 03-Jan-13 20:44:14

My problem appears to be with hotels not accepting bookings with 3 children.

What can you do? Call them instead? Book for 4 and smuggle another 1 in?

Advice please

Chops YES!! My favorite restaurant possibly in the world is Il Piccolino in WeHo, it's Italian but food is amazing and it's run by a guy who ran some if the top debaucheries clubs in Sunset in the 1950's and now the young clientele of that era visit Piccolino as the glamorous heyday types - but never any paparazzi. It's just lovely, you need to book!!

Will get thinking cap on for other nice suggestions though, I know you said no sushi but what about traditional Japanese? Where will you be staying and will you have a car?

YY to Getty, it's awesome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now