Where should we go for sun in February?

(14 Posts)
GlobeDU Wed 09-Jan-13 09:00:25

South Africa (specifically Cape Town area) is absolutely stunning in February. Not too hot and the rainy season hasn't started yet either.

There are a number of Guest Houses and Lodges that are children friendly. Also, if you choose one in Stellenbosch, you have the added advantage of being able to get great baby-sitting services from the students.

There is so much to do an see in Cape Town that will definately keep your 3yo well entertained during the day. Just make sure that you let your guides know that you have small children so that they can plan for naps etc too.

Feel free to contact me if you would like me to assist with putting together a few options for you :-)

Regards
kaylene
wikivillage.co.za/globe-discoverers-unite-africa/

hemily Tue 06-Nov-12 00:43:52

Hi stillsquiffy, do you have any more info on your Barbados villa?

hemily Tue 06-Nov-12 00:39:31

Thanks for the tip!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Mon 05-Nov-12 05:48:00

Bali is in the wet season then - means that it rains some of every day, but rarely for more than a couple of hours. Likely to be overcast, but that's not necessarily a problem with small children as when it's not overcast it is very very hot/burntastic. Also, the sea isnt great for small kids as lots of rocks, big breaks and rips.

Avoid Asia from 9th-16th February (sounds like you'll be going later than that anyway) as it's Chinese new Year and everywhere is absolutely jammed with expats making the most of a week off work.

hemily Mon 05-Nov-12 05:40:24

Thanks, do you have a website for your villa- it sounds lovely? Do you know Mexico very well? I've never been, would love to go but not to Cancun. smile

hemily Mon 05-Nov-12 05:35:17

Wow this has been so helpful, thank you everyone. It's my first foray into the world of mumsnet - I think I might become addicted; it's better than reading the gossip column in the Mail online at 3 in the morning whilst breast feeding! I'm definitely thinking about the Caribbean, especially for the jet lag reasons. We want to have a rest, not be up with the children all night. I'll keep you posted...

notserp Thu 01-Nov-12 13:39:42

The Maldives would be wonderful, especially LUX Maldives which is great for kids, let me find a link for you, hang on, here you go. Or look at Cotton Bay Village in St Lucia as they have childcare even for your youngest.

elastamum Wed 31-Oct-12 20:23:15

Take a look at Windjammer landing in St Lucia or The Residence in Mauritius. Both have lovely beaches, great kids clubs, evening babysitting, pools etc We went with Scott Dunn a few years back.

Cape has mediterranean weather - summers are hot and dry in Feb. I don't know how willing I would be to take a young baby there ...

Yy to Costa Rica, forgot there!

I would recommend South Africa to anyone. I've been in Feb and the weather would be great for kids - hot but not you hot. Cape Town is my favourite place in the world!

If you're thinking about the Caribbean then with kids I would look at Aruba or St Lucia. Very envy - 8 months of maternity pay has put a dampener on my globe trotting this year.

StillSquiffy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:14:43

My villa in Barbados, of course. Next to the Lone Star beach, with pool. Very Good Price rubs hands

Seriously, Caribbean is fab that time of the year.

South Africa also nice but childcare in hotels very hit and miss. Also if you go round the Cape area you may find the weather turning - it can lash with rain all the way through March.

Bali very good for childcare but jet-lag more of an issue IME when you fly East instead of West - at least if you head West the worst thing that happens is you all get up at 5am and go to bed at 9pm, whereas your kids could be all over the place time-wise if you go to Bali.

Don't overlook Mexico and Costa Rica either - you'll get really good deals that time of year. Miami Beach also an option - as the kids get older they will cramp your style meaning this won't be an option for much longer.

Nigglenaggle Wed 31-Oct-12 20:03:01

Egypt is a nice temperature at that time of year

hemily Tue 30-Oct-12 20:07:22

My DH and I have 3 weeks holiday in late feb/early march next year and can't decide where to go for some winter sun. We'll be taking our 2 daughters who'll be 3 years and 5 months when we travel. We want a beach and childcare available, but ideally not an enormous resort. We are considering Bali, South Africa and the Caribbean but are open to ideas. Please help! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now