What's to do at Gatwick with 4 and 5 yo DDs?

(6 Posts)
plipplops Tue 23-Oct-12 14:44:29

We're flying from Gatwick South Terminal with Virgin next month with DDs, wondered if anyone has any tips on what to do with the kids there? Are there any soft play bits or anything? We flew back from Spain in March and they spent ages playing on this little plane thing (one of those horrible little rides - they didn't seem to need me to put any cash in it!) so they're pretty easily amused...

PicaK Tue 30-Oct-12 18:22:11

Book into the virgin lounge. We found it fab - so less crowded, brilliant view of the planes, games room with air hockey, lovely toilets and lego room. Worth every penny.

plipplops Tue 30-Oct-12 19:13:13

Just had a look it looks amazing! Unfortunately we're only flying with Virgin, not staying with them so it looks like we're not allowed in sad

givemeaclue Wed 31-Oct-12 22:16:01

One of the terminals does have a small kids section with tv but I can't remember which one is it not to Gatwick website?

elizabethsmum Mon 12-Nov-12 20:08:10

Hiya- i would recommend the twilight check-in for your virgin flight then there will be less hassle on the actual day as no queueing at check-in for ages etc. We did this in the summer on the friday evening (open until 9pm i think), stayed in the Holiday Inn and then just went straight to security the next day as already had boarding passes- much easier. Also at gatwick there is a specific security lane if you are travelling with children and again this was a lot quicker.
i also pre-ordered some bits from boots online and then picked them up in the terminal- baby food, nappies, wipes etc for the journey to save carrying them.
we travelled with our 18 month old twins and 6 yr old DD- a bit of an eye-watering prospect but the whole journey/airport experience was OK actually.
By the time we had eaten breakfast at weatherspoons and then picked up the bits from boots there was hardly any time before we had to set off for the gate which was miles away so remember to allow about half an hour for that as well!
have a great time! smile

Amerryscot Sat 29-Dec-12 18:40:15

There is a children's area in Gatwick South. Basically, it's a cordoned-off area in the middle of the terminal, with some play equipment. It looks pretty nice.

The other thing to do is just station yourself in one of the restaurants, eg Frankie and Benny's. They do children's packs and have very spacious booths. You can also go for a wander around the shops. The duty free shop with all the perfume samples and glittery stuff is fun for little girls. You could easily kill half an hour and not have to spend a penny.

If your flight isn't delayed, you won't actually have that much time between checking in and showing up at the gate.

We flew out of Gatwick South last week and had a 2 hour delay. Once through security, we had breakfast in F & B's, then just sat in the normal waiting area. I had a couple of trips around the shops with DDs, but basically we sat and read. The seats are comfortable and it is reasonably clean. I investigated the Servisair lounge, but it was busier than the terminal. Given that it was morning, I wasn't going to avail myself much of the free bar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now