Keeping Milk Cold on Board

(14 Posts)
forevergreek Sat 27-Oct-12 08:30:43

Oh and we often just take a Becker through empty now ( children 18 months and 3), then go to costa or somewhere and they top up with warm or cold milk for them ( most offer for free but I always gie something)

Like I say we then have a few formula cartons as easy to use but only take on long haul so they can have some before they sleep, but wouldn't be a disaster if they just had water/ apple juice etc on board as its only a day ( at home only have milk am and before bed anyway, so actually more on plane but just for comfort really)

forevergreek Sat 27-Oct-12 08:27:10

We take formula cartons still for 3 year old. But uht milk would be fine.

They often have milk onboard to top up with but sometimes only those little milk satchets

How old is he?

You can get little uht milk cartons in supermarket with straws, is he old enough for them?

SavoyCabbage Sat 27-Oct-12 08:12:34

I took cows milk when I we t to Australia. You can get it through security as it is exempt as it is food for a baby. I had to have a swig of it though.

My scientist sister did some research for me and concluded that the milk would be perfectly safe to drink even if it never went in a fridge. It's not exactly warm on planes. However the steward asked if I wanted it put in the fridge and so I said yes and they brought it out whenever I wanted it. It wasn't a problem at all.

You wouldn't get the milk through security though.

papooshka Sat 27-Oct-12 08:07:25

Just ask the crew to put your milk in the fridge for you. Which airline are you on? I know when I flew on Singapore airlines, I just asked them for milk and they filled up my child's sippy cup.

sashh Sat 27-Oct-12 07:37:03

All airlines have ice, just take your cool bag and get them to put ice in it.

You might find they also have those cool packs you crack to put on sports injuries.

Could you try UHT milk, that wouldn't need to be kept cold.

Or you could actually freeze the milk and let it gradually thaw during the flight.

The freezer packs must be less than 100 ml or they will confiscate them.

givemeaclue Tue 23-Oct-12 17:31:38

Take the cartons

Bopsey Tue 23-Oct-12 16:53:45

Thanks. I think I will have to contact the airline to check. I just need reassurance I will be able to definitely keep it cold. Id rather take my own freezer bag and packs to be certain but im scared they will get confiscated at security sad

SaraBellumHertz Tue 23-Oct-12 15:18:03

Some airlines will put it in the fridge for you - check with the airline

namechangerhonest Tue 23-Oct-12 15:02:22

Sorry, assumed it was formula. Could you take cartons of UHT milk then?

Bopsey Tue 23-Oct-12 15:00:34

Could take powder, but my son has only ever drunk breast then cows milk, (was fussy when i once tried him with powder milk) so wouldnt like to assume he'll drink this or the cartons. Id rather stick to cows milk as I know he'll drink that.

namechangerhonest Tue 23-Oct-12 14:08:44

Can't you take either the powder and buy some bottled water airside, or ask for water on the plane?
Or take the ready made cartons- they don't need keeping cool I presume (correct me if not, I've never FF so I might have it completely wrong)

Bopsey Tue 23-Oct-12 14:06:19

Going to Oz soon and wonder how we can keep DS milk cold during flight? Has anyone ever tried taking a cool bag containing freezer packs through security? This is the only way I can think of doing it. Will they allow this, as freezer packs essentially contain liquid. Please help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now