traveling alone with a toddler and baby to New Zealand. tips and tricks?

(3 Posts)
hopingtodrive Sun 21-Oct-12 21:47:00

hi everyone. my friend is traveling with her children to new zealand and i thought you would have some tips.

she is making the journey alone and her toddler is very hyper. she is also not interested in colouring books (the only suggestion i had)

how can she keep her toddler occupied while looking after her baby?
i will forward this link to her.

thanks

I did canada to Nz with mine at 3yo and 4mo. Thankfully DS1 love movies and is used to travelling, I dont need to pack much for him! She needs to find the one thing that keeps her occupied. Is it puzzles, favourite shows, movies, looking after a doll, threading beads on string? If she doesnt like one thing, take lots of little things to pull out randomly when things are getting fractious. Put little games etc in small ziplocs, keeps it all together. If she take a favourite toy/plushie, get a toy strap to hook to your bag/toddler wrist to prevent loss and meltdown.

Use umbrella stroller for toddler and sling for baby, backpack for the flight to keep her hands free. You can guarantee as soon as she's landing the toddler will be asleep!

Enlist stewards to help with baby if she/toddler needs bathroom. If toddler is potty trained its worth putting a pull up on them for the flight. You never know when they migh need the toilet and there is a queue or turbulence and can't go when they need it. Also helps for when they fall asleep, you don't have to worry as thats one thing taken care of.

But toddler sized headphones, crayola do a good one, for listening to movies.

Order the children's meal in advance and pack lots of snacks she knows her DC1 will eat.

I had the cot for the flight but on air nz at least the seats in that row didnt recline, it made it hard for my toddler to sleep without slipping off. Generally people are very helpful and kind and always remember the flight will end so try not to stress out even if your toddler is. If she has a layover, hang out in the club lounges even if you have to pay for the privilege. I had 10hrs in LA and paid $50 which was totally worth it. If she has a diners card Check out where their lounges are in advance.

I hope some of this is useful and that they enjoy their trip. I wish I was going again!

hopingtodrive Sun 21-Oct-12 22:26:32

thanks herroyalnotness (love your nickname). thats loads of advice.i just copied and pasted it to her.

she is feeling overwhelmed as its her first longhaul flight ever and she is stressed about the children already.

her toddler has been potty trained for a few months now so the pull ups hadnt occurred to her. thanks once again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now