Thailand advice with a 1 year old please

(12 Posts)
Smallgreenone Sun 21-Oct-12 06:01:44

We've been invited to a wedding next August on koh samui and we'd like to give it a go and get over there, ds will be nearly 1 at this point.
Has anyone else been to Thailand with one this age? Are we silly for trying to go? We've been to Thailand on our own a few times but this will be different and I'm worried about the flight, heat, food etc.
Also if anyone has any good samui hotel recommendations that would be helpful. DH says we can go luxury as we'll need if with the small one but I'm not keen on spending our life savings on two weeks in a hotel so looking for mid-range to semi luxury options if anyone has any.
Thanks

studentvera Sun 21-Oct-12 23:37:04

Bandara hotel xx

claggles02 Sat 27-Oct-12 03:11:18

Hi, we are currently living in Thailand due to my dh's job, our son is 3mths. Heat wise the baby will be fine, get a buggy fan for when out and about but hotels will have decent ac. Take a travel mozzie net the hotel should provide a travel cot. Also take child friendly mozzie repellent. The Thais love children and will fuss over your baby! Supermarkets sell lots of baby food but western type food also good for little ones. If you choose a 4 or 5 star hotel then take advantage of the breakfast buffet to stock up on snacks for the day, just make sure all fruit etc washed well. Have fun!

Smallgreenone Sat 27-Oct-12 18:48:51

Thank you both.
claggles I mentioned it to the nurse when ds was having his injections and she was a bit against the idea as he won't be fully vaccinated- is she being a bit over cautious? What injections has your baby had?

OrangeKat Mon 29-Oct-12 18:29:25

We took dd to Bali when she was 8 months- it was a dream. She slept for loads of the journey and just generally had a wonderful. It was so good we took her to Malaysia 9 months later- she loved that too.
Dd had no travel jabs per se, and our nurse was happy for her to travel on her baby jabs. We're going to Thailand when she is 3 and she will have Typhoid and Hep before we go.
HAve a great time!

claggles02 Tue 30-Oct-12 08:56:16

by one year he will have had:

DPaT/ IPV / HIB (meningitis, polio, diphtheria, pertussis [whooping cough] and tetanus)
PCV 13-(Pneumococcal Conjugate)
Rotavirus
Hep B
MMR
Japanese Encephalitis

at the end of the day its your call but just be vigilant with mozzie nets and washing food as that the reason most young ones get sick over here

have a great time

Smallgreenone Fri 09-Nov-12 02:21:17

Thanks for the advice ladies. I can't wait for some sun!

Hello,
My sister spent a couple of months of her maternity leave in Thailand, as her husband was away for work anyway, and my parents were going to be on holidays there for a few months (and it was January/Feb and freezing cold at home!). The baby was four months and my nephew had just turned three.
They had a great time, the Thai people loved the kids, the only problem was people wanting to take photos of the children, and my nephew got a bit fed up of it.
They had no problems with the flight, the baby slept in a sky cot and the staff could not have been nicer on the flights (Lufthansa). The three year old was taken to an empty departures area of the airport by his grandma and encouraged to run around and tire himself out! He slept right through the flight once they took off. They were taken out of the visa/passport control queue at the airport and they opened an extra desk to speed them through.
Neither child had any extra vaccinations.

Sidge Fri 09-Nov-12 11:01:55

claggles not in the UK he won't - the UK schedule doesn't include Hep B, rotavirus or Japanese Encephalitis.

At nearly one he will have had his primary vaccs and will be due an MMR at 12-18 months (along with Pneumococcal booster and Hib/Men C booster). He could have this early for travel but it will be discounted as under one and repeated as scheduled.

You may also want to consider Hep A vaccine and if your baby is likely to need medical intervention (eg due to an underlying medical condition) you may want to consider a course of Hep B vaccine - this has to be given over the course of 6 months.

Food and water hygiene, hand hygiene, insect and bite avoidance and sun safety are paramount but no doubt you will have an amazing time! I'd love to go to Thailand smile

We have a holiday home on Samui and went there about a dozen times last year with the kids while it was being built. The healthcare there is excellent (it's a centre for medical tourism) and the big hospitals speak very good English. Hygiene is fine and food is great in restaurants, even beach restaurants. There is a storing German community so most restaurants offer german (schnitzel / pork) options as well as pasta and of course Thai so no problem for finger food etc. There is a huge tesco on the island as well as a big c hypermarket so you can get pretty much anything if you are looking for snacks for dc, diapers etc.

The hotels are fab, we have stayed at the four seasons, which is serious luxury and pricey but amazing. Stay away from chaweng which can be noisy and touristy. Beaches are clean and safe. Your biggest issue will be the sun, make sure you stay out of it between 12 and 3 and use lots of high factor sun cream / t shirts at the beach. Hotels will provide you with mozzie nets if necessary and it's common for villas and hotels to light mosquito coils in the evening. There's no malaria on Samui but there have been cases of dengue fever (although rare) so keep mozzies away.

We've eaten at roadside restaurants on Samui and (touch wood) never been sick. Enjoy, you will have an amazing time.

RarelyUnreasonable Fri 16-Nov-12 12:52:45

We had a fab time in Thailand with our 11mo. Pm any questions - but yes, definitely go for it!! We found it much easier than a week self-catering in the uk when she was 6mo!!

TigerLilly12 Mon 19-Nov-12 15:49:17

Centara Villas is great if you are looking for luxery but at an affordable price - we have stayed there twice in a private pool villa for £900 each for two weeks,with free canopys and drinks bought to your villa each evening!! The hotel is also popular with familys as it is away from the main hustle of Chaweng and Lamai - it has a shuttle bus which runs every day to the two main towns, Lamai takes 10 mins and Chaweng takes 20 mins. Food is great,its varied so really easy to find something you will like. The heat can be a bit intense at times but the random rain showers soon cool you down!I say go for it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now