Oman in December with teens

(20 Posts)
Honestyisbest Mon 15-Oct-12 09:21:48

Any thoughts/experience?
We fancy a relaxing sunny week somewhere and we wouldn't go back to Dubai but love the ME. Anyone been to Oman? We have a 14 and an 11 year old. Any hotel recommendations?

homebythesea Mon 15-Oct-12 21:24:17

Yes we have been to Shangri La in Oman over New Year- thoroughly recommend for this age IF you are looking for a do nothing much at all type holiday. We did some water sports and hired a driver for a day to visit Mosque, souk, markets etc. hotel fab food brilliant but New Year dinner a tad disappointing and is compulsory at vast expense.

Honestyisbest Mon 15-Oct-12 22:03:14

Thank you. We are looking for a chill out holiday, haven't had one for ages. We are looking to go the week before Christmas, so back in blighty for the big day. Have you heard of the zighy sixth sense hotel? It looks fab.

homebythesea Tue 16-Oct-12 07:45:24

Yes we looked at Zighy but I thought it looked a bit buttoned up for a truly relaxing holiday with our children! Shangri La was well set up with nice pools a range of different eateries spa for us etc which suited us very well. It's one of the places the kids ask if they can go to again!

Honestyisbest Tue 16-Oct-12 09:08:27

Hi Homebythesea. Which bit of Shangri La did you stay in? Our kids are 11 and 14 yo so we dont need full on family friendly facilities, but I know what you mean about there being enough for them to do whilst we relax poolside!

homebythesea Tue 16-Oct-12 12:49:12

we were in Al Waha but I would stay at Al Bandar if we went back - Al Waha pool was surrounded by families with little kids and got crowded very early so we walked up to Al Bandar (3 mins!) and set up camp there on the lawn in front of the beach next to a lovely pool! This is also closer to the waterdports "office" - doughnuts, banana boat, sailing etc. Service is usual ME standards throughout and we did half board which was more than enough on the food front! Al BAndar has free mini bars as well which is useful if your teens wish to tuck into the kitkats etc as ours did (at a cost!)

homebythesea Tue 16-Oct-12 12:51:08

Oh and you can eat in any of the Al Waha / Bandar restaurants on half board (up to an allowance). The Waha buffet was unbelievably good but Bandar did better middle eastern style outside BBQ buffets with local music which we enjoyed a couple of times

Honestyisbest Tue 16-Oct-12 14:34:28

Thank you! Great tips.

Can third, the Shangri-La! We stayed at the Al-Husn, which is the part for grown-ups, though I think children from 11/12 are allowed. An excellent hotel all round.

The snorkelling at the hotel is also pretty good as they have sea turtles in the area. Tea on the terrace is also very nice as the views from the cliff-top are impressive and it is usually accompanied by some sort of culinary display - the chocolate maker was particularly appreciated!!

Driving is very straightforward in Oman (much better than Dubai) and we hired a car while there to go and visit Muscat and some of the forts - Nizwa is definitely worth a visit.

homebythesea Tue 16-Oct-12 15:47:58

No kids at Al Husn not even for dinner sad

How disappointing, sad

Honestyisbest Tue 16-Oct-12 18:23:01

Oh that's a shame. My concern on looking at the other shangri la hotels is that they do cater for younger children so there may be lots of stuff catering for the family we were a couple of years ago, but now our two will probs just be happy chilling at the pool and thinking about where to eat for dinner. Real shame about the Al Husn.

I thought so, the cut-off was 12 but they are changing to 18 and over from January 2013.

AlfieBear87 Tue 16-Oct-12 18:39:55

We stayed at the Oman dive centre - you get your own Omani 'hut' on the beach - amazing experience and the food was superb.

homebythesea Tue 16-Oct-12 18:49:52

Honesty - that is the joy of the Oman set up as the areas are quite well separated - your older kids will not feel they are in toddler hell! The Waha pool is busy with younger kids as it is closer to rooms and also the Kids Club is in that building - Bandar end is much more grown up. Al Husn is entirely separate - you can't even really see it from the other 2 hotels!!

homebythesea Tue 16-Oct-12 18:53:10

Can also recommend the Shangri La in Abu Dhabi which has apartments and hotel rooms - apartments work better for us and we found it a great relaxing complex with some interesting "off campus" day trips

kensingtonkat Tue 16-Oct-12 18:58:27

If you want to spoil your teenagers, have you thought about the Chedi?

It's very swish and very self-consciously cool, and outrageously expensive, but we loved it.

We've done Oman a few times - Dubai without the chavs - and are big fans. Al Husn would be my first choice but we don't have kids. Although it attracts a much older crowd. We're in our late thirties and were amongst the youngest people there when we went.

Honestyisbest Tue 16-Oct-12 19:20:32

ooh will take a look at Abu Dhabi...

And KKat have looked at Chedi, what do you think for teens?

ripsishere Fri 09-Nov-12 02:32:52

Chedi is marvellous. We used to go there as a treat when we lived in Muscat.

SomewhereInCanada Fri 09-Nov-12 03:38:13

Ooh, I've been to The Chedi. It was awesome. We stayed in one of the villas. I liked the free laundry and the evening cocktails and canapés. I don't know if he'll still be there, but when we went the pianist in the restaurant was English. He was playing classical pieces and then throwing in tv theme tunes.

Have you looked at Zighy Bay? We were collected from Dubai airport in a Hummer, which I'm sure your teens would love. A 2 hour drive over the mountains to the hotel. Lovely rooms (we had a villa by the beach) great staff and gorgeous food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now