Caribbean - Jamaica, St Lucia - how to experience real Caribbean food in the hotels

(8 Posts)
strandednomore Mon 05-Nov-12 14:17:34

Coconut Bay in St Lucia is all inclusive but has a Caribbean food corner. Most AI's I have been to in the Caribbean serve local food alongside everything else. If you go to Jamaica, try and get to Port Antonio and stop at Boston Bay for the jerk, fabulous, especially teamed with roasted breadfruit and an ice cold beer. And patties from any Jucie or tastee are good. Local fish can be great but I would steer clear of Mannish water....Other local dishes worth trying - Red Pea Soup, country chicken, you won't escape rice and peas... If you go to St Lucia, I can recommend the snacks on the beach by the (small) airport just outside Castries. Otherwise, try the small restaurant on Pigeon Island,Jambe di Bois, they do a mean roti. There are not many places in the Reduit area that will serve "local" food.

marbeth Sat 13-Oct-12 16:35:27

Have a look at Eastwinds Inn in St Lucia. It is a small hotel. We have booked for next summer, after reviewing lots of hotels. Mainly adults in summer you will get families.

Miggsie Sat 13-Oct-12 16:27:14

Thanks for the replies, we are really struggling to find a hotel that ticks all the boxes...but we do want to have Caribbean food!

The trip advisor reviews are interesting as some reviews seem to be talking about different hotels even though they are the same hotel. I wonder how that happens? I suppose some people are just very picky?

Fluffy1234 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:49:15

Check out hotels in the Reduit beach area of st.Lucia, there are lots of restaurants you can stroll along to and the beach has a really good vibe. I stayed in 2 types of accommodation. Firstly a town house in this area and then got a taxi and stayed at Almond Smugglers Cove which is a family all inclusive hotel.
Another year we went on a twin centre holiday to Cuba and for the first half of the holiday stayed in an all inclusive hotel with the usual facilities and restaurants and then flew to Havana and ate at different places for lunch and dinner as well as enjoying the local culture.
I also agree with the poster who mentioned jamacia. When I went there on holiday there was a jerk chicken hut for snacks and a weekly Caribbean BBQ on the beach.
I did all these holidays with children and would recommend them all.

charlearose Fri 12-Oct-12 14:01:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PatriciaHolm Thu 11-Oct-12 22:52:30

We stayed here

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g147344-d549923-Reviews-Coco_Palm_Resort-Gros_Islet_St_Lucia.html

last year, which is locally owned, so lots of local dishes in the restaurant. Walking distance to lots of other cuisine too if you want a change, as well as the beach. We had a fab time.

givemeaclue Thu 11-Oct-12 10:03:46

Been to Caribbean several times inc st Lucia. Have never been all inclusive we prefer to eat out locally. Have had great food every time. In Antigua went to a restaurant in someone's house where he opens up the garden a couple times week and cooks for people, war fab. Barbados has fantastic restaurants. Would suggest you choose a hotel that you don't have to be all inclusive and you can eat out locally. Prob cost more than all inc though. Calabash in Grenada had a good restaurant at the hotel although limited other restaurants in area. Just to say though haven't been to Caribbean for 6 years so I may be out of date!

Miggsie Thu 11-Oct-12 08:38:15

We are looking at going to the Caribbean , 2 adults and 9 yo DD, but looking at the hotels there doesn't seem to be much real authentic food served - lots of the bigger posh hotels seems to be "international" cuisine, Italian and Japanese!

Anyone been to a good hotel that actually serves Caribbean food daily?

We had been looking at all inclusive - but they don't seem to think people want to eat local food...

Should we think about smaller hotels??????

We haven't been on holiday for 10 years so we really want to pick a nice place to stay.

Any recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now