Cuba for Christmas

(6 Posts)
fion Tue 27-Nov-12 14:28:47

I have the same question about presents for kids as we'll be in cuba for christmas. Cuban website states no more than 2 toys and 2 games per child or tax must be paid ie the value of the goods. I can't get any information from Virgin (they're driving me mad) or the cuban authorities. Can anyone help? I don't want my DC to watch Santa's presents being unwrapped in front of them or any arguments with men with moustaches!
Thanks so much!

fion Sat 03-Nov-12 15:23:27

we'll be in cuba for christmas but does anyone know about taking toys for christmas presents into cuba? the customs site says children are allowed two toys each or else you have to pay import duty. I'm a bit worried santa's presents will get confiscated or unwrapped in front of the kids and an argument about paying duty might wreck christmas. Anyone have experience good or bad of this?

charlearose Fri 12-Oct-12 13:53:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charlearose Fri 12-Oct-12 13:49:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 06-Oct-12 14:20:15

Where in Cuba?

I was there for the Millenium in a B&B, it was nice, as in I liked it the hostess was extremely kind to me, but probably not "nice" like you mean. There is nothing in the UK which matches it.
I was in santiago. People are really poor, sometimes there is no food in the shops or restaurants (this doesn't happen in the big touristy hotels I guess). I also had to buy someone pads because they were out of stock everywhere. My friends also got robbed the day before I arrived. And we were boot out of a few places by the police.

It might have change since then, but Castro is still more or less here. And havana will be a bit more touristy.

I want it to be nice for Christmas. Can't decide if I'm over thinking it all! (I like my Christmases at home but this would be a good opportunity) this worry me, your expectation of what Xmas day is, will be to homey to enjoy cuba.

If I remember correctly Xmas is not really a big thing in Cuba (it has been banned for 30/40 years by castro), they celebrate more on NYE.

Sausagedog27 Sat 06-Oct-12 13:57:53

We have friends who will be in Cuba over Christmas and they have invited us out there. Flights are around £1k each, they haven't sorted out accommodation yet- possibly looking at hostels.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Cuba? We are in 2 minds at the min- can afford it, but will need to put other projects on hold.

Accommodation is a worry- I want it to be nice for Christmas. Can't decide if I'm over thinking it all! (I like my Christmases at home but this would be a good opportunity).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now