Anyone else got a Disney Florida trip planned? Want to get excited together and share plans?

(999 Posts)
PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 19:03:03

We are off to DisneyWorld next year and I am already really excited about it. Anyone else? I'd love to compare notes on what you are doing to prepare. I'm starting to think about how to do a big surprise for the DC when we tell them we are going.

triplets Wed 20-Feb-13 23:09:32

Thanks KINKY we tried all of those listed on Cancer research, we rang several listed in the onco unit. Dh spent two half days on the phone and just got more and more depressed. The comp who have offered this quote only did so after I emailed them and said how mislead we were by their website, giving people like my dh hope and then refusing them. They phoned us, took alot more details then said yes.

sleepdeprivedby2 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:55:21

Thanks for your suggestions Nora and Groove. Now off to look at Nora's link whilst pretending to do work wink

Hulababy Fri 22-Feb-13 12:46:30

Nora - temps well and truly up now, been in strappy dresses, tops and shorts since that first day. Supposed to be at least 31/32 today.

NoraSpect Sat 23-Feb-13 10:42:12

Yay! Thanks for letting me know. I'm so excited. A week tomorrow and we'll be off to The Radisson Blu at Manchester airport grin

Are you having a good time Hula?

roughtyping Sat 23-Feb-13 10:45:06

Ee Nora how exciting smile you'll need to let me know how the Radisson is, thinking of booking there when we go smile

NoraSpect Sat 23-Feb-13 11:16:30

I will do smile

I'm actually a bit nervous now confused and I'm sad about leaving my cat for 2 weeks (he'll be fine at my mums but still...he's my baby! blush)

Groovee Sat 23-Feb-13 11:57:07

awww Nora xx

Hulababy Sat 23-Feb-13 12:40:13

Fab time. Sadly home time today sad All main parks visited this week. Today's relaxing round the pool, a trip to Mall at Millenia and then home

NoraSpect Sat 23-Feb-13 13:42:13

Groovee smile

Glad you had a good time but it sure sucks when you have to come home Hula sad Where did you stay?

Have a safe journey home.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 23-Feb-13 13:46:19

Goes too quickly doesn't it sad.

Enjoy your last day, I love that mall!

sideburnsalawiggins Sat 23-Feb-13 14:44:28

Haven't read the whole thread yet but has anyone used the WDW Lines or Disney mobile apps? I've got them on my phone and they seem really good. You can check wait times and make ADRs etc.

We're not even going to the world until 2015 and I'm already planning! grin

Groovee Sun 24-Feb-13 11:21:17

sideburns I'll come back to you in July grin

Balance of the holiday paid... Now trying to find my reference for the park tickets to pay that off.

Hulababy Sun 24-Feb-13 13:43:57

We stayed in a villa owned by Dh's colleague, nr lake davenport.

Now home and had a couple of hours sleep. Not sure I feel better for it tbh.

And it's blooming cold!!! Was trying to snow in Manchester. Brrrr

Hulababy Sun 24-Feb-13 13:46:23

Yes we used the official Disney apps in the parks. Wifi was pretty good most of the time, some areas a bit weak. Used it to reserve two dining whilst we were there, plus wait times which tallied with the ones at the rides. They also show you FP times

mamageekchic Sun 24-Feb-13 14:04:46

Hello!! We're flying out to Orlando wid-April for 2 weeks. Flights and hotel booked (on international drive not disney), what else do I need to do before we go? Would appreciate any help/advice...

Hulababy Sun 24-Feb-13 15:00:56

Park tickets? We used undercover tourist this time.
Car hire? We booked with budget, was very reasonable.
Car parking at airport in uk?

There are apps for the parks.

The undercover tourist and wide agin sites have crowd calendar so you can plan the best days for each park.

You can book meals from about 180 days In advance. Definitely worth doing ESP for a character meal. The restaurants where you can reserve were far busier this year than ever before.

Look at some road maps online to get your bearings as to location and where each park is.

If your children are likely to want Light up or glow in dark stuff for night time warded - buy and take with you, much cheaper!

Groovee Sun 24-Feb-13 15:21:03

Have you done your Esta's?

Groovee Sun 24-Feb-13 15:22:08

What apps do you use? Me and dh want to get them downloaded

sideburnsalawiggins Sun 24-Feb-13 16:29:25

Groovee I am so jealous! smile

We're waiting for DS2 to get a bit older so he and we can enjoy the holiday. We're thinking about going the last 2 weeks in October. Has anyone else been then?

roughtyping Sun 24-Feb-13 16:44:47

sideburns we went middle of October around 17 (eek!) years ago (October week in Scotland + 1 extra week), the weather was beautiful and it was a lot quiter in the parks. I think I was 9 - 18 years ago then. Oh my god, that's an actual whole lifetime! Feel old now!

Hulababy Sun 24-Feb-13 17:03:46

The official one is MyDisneyExperience.
I also have Disney Prks Mobile Magi, the two Undercover Tourist ones (for Universal and Disney - though no wifi in Universal parks) and the WDW forum one too.

How do I book a character meal?

Is anybody doing the princess or pirate experience?

roughtyping Sun 24-Feb-13 17:13:46

Oh, I just thought of something I want to ask!

My DS will be 10 when we go - we're staying at Hilton Bonnet Creek so 'inside' Disney World but not a WDW hotel.

1) anyone have any experience of this hotel?

2) what meals etc are more 'grown up' - we went last year when DS was 8 and I think he felt some of the Disney stuff was a bit 'little' for him IYSWIM?

3) it's our honeymoon so ill get to wear a badge (got a 'just engaged' one last time as OH proposed while we were there grin) (not a question just a boast grin wink)

I've downloaded the tourist app and I've seen you can book restaurants through that.
Which are the good ones? Where is the character meal?

Hulababy Sun 24-Feb-13 17:26:18

You can reserve all restaurants direct with Disney: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/

roughtyping - DD is 10y. In Disney terms that means she is an adult and pays adult prices, well at ones you reserve anyway - as they know their age - and especially for all you can eat buffet style.

For character dining DD still enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom.

Non character:

Hollywood Studios - Prime Time - 50s style restaurant where they are all in character; you get "told off" (adults especially for not eating veg, elbows on tables, etc. Good fun; DD loves it.

Hollywood Studios - Sci Fi Dine-in Diner - if you reserve you get to sit as if you are in a car at a drive in. We didn't reserve so sat on one of the "space" tables round the edges. DD enjoyed the idea of the cars; and we enjoyed the food and it was novel.

Epcot - we ate at Chef de France; you get to meet Remy who comes out on a trolley hidden beneath a serving dish.
TBH there are lots of nice places to eat in Epcot at the World Showcase; you can check prices and menus on the apps.

Animal Kingdom - wee breakfast plus DD likes Rainforest Cafe too.

We also ate at T Rex this time at Downtown Disney - very similar to Rainforest Cafe but dinosaurs. very noisy!

At Universal we ate at the Three Broomsticks in Wizarding World of Harry Potter as DD is a huge fan and likes the butterbeer. In City Walk we ate at Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now