Anyone else got a Disney Florida trip planned? Want to get excited together and share plans?

(999 Posts)
PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 19:03:03

We are off to DisneyWorld next year and I am already really excited about it. Anyone else? I'd love to compare notes on what you are doing to prepare. I'm starting to think about how to do a big surprise for the DC when we tell them we are going.

ihatethecold Fri 19-Oct-12 18:51:10

Thanks hokey. grin

Happypiglet Fri 19-Oct-12 19:55:19

Well as I mentioned earlier we are off next Saturday for 7nights.
We have booked it all through Disney travel co and I had been eagerly awaiting my tickets. As we have booked two interconnecting rooms we have two separate booking references one for me and my two DS and one for DH and DD.
Two weeks ago I got DH's tickets but not mine. I have chased and chased and yesterday was told there was a printer error and that they would print them today and send them special delivery for receipt on Monday.
Then tonight just before 5pm an executive at Disney travel called to tell me the real reason my tickets haven't arrived. Virgin have bumped us to fly back a day later than we booked on Sunday 4 Nov not Sat 3 Nov.....But only me and DSs not DH and DD who are still on the flight a day earlier.....the flight we booked in JAN this year is overbooked and we are the ones being bumped....
Nightmare..... I had reservations all along about waiting until two weeks Before our leave date to get any airline tickets and this has just reinforced my worries.
So this weekend they are trying to sort it out but the likelihood is we will have to come back a day late which would not be the end of the world except for my DHs work....he will have to literally step of the flight at 8.50am and go to work leaving me with three jet lagged kids to sort for school the next day....
We were also going to do a big reveal to the kids tomorrow morning and it has spoilt it for me.... Also I have stopped looking forward to it as I still HAVE NO TICKETS!!
Anyway rant over I will never choose Virgin again...

BiscuitNibbler Fri 19-Oct-12 20:48:23

Oh Happy, that is grim.

We're off in 19 days and the tickets arrived a few days ago. Our flight times have changed, but only by an hour or so on each flight. I was a bit fed up about that, but your story has made me realise how lucky we are!

ChestyNutterStaringInTheWindow Sun 21-Oct-12 23:00:28

Me me me grin

Next march, am soooooo excited! First timer and cannot wait

<<squeeeeeeeee>>

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Tue 23-Oct-12 18:34:44

Who are you going with Chesty?

Happypiglet Wed 24-Oct-12 12:01:38

Well we finally got our tickets today. Hooray. In the end we are having to travel back a day late but at least we are all together. And Disney Travel company have been great sorting it out and helping make the holiday even more special...so we are back to looking forward to it with avengeance....
We now have tickets to the Not So Scarey Halloween Party which is very exciting.
3 days to go...eeeeeeekkkkk......

BiscuitNibbler Wed 24-Oct-12 12:21:47

Brilliant news - and the Halloween party is absolutely great! Dress up if you can!

Not sure how old your DC are but if they like Toy Story make sure you go to the Diamond Horseshoe as they have Woody, Jessie and Bullseye dancing with the kids.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 24-Oct-12 14:57:18

I am so envy happy have a wonderful time!!!

KinkyDorito Sat 03-Nov-12 06:18:41

Going to stay in Animal Kingdom Lodge for 2 weeks in August. DD(14) finishes chemotherapy in April and we told her we'd take her wherever she wanted to go (she's had 2.4 years of treatment, so a long, hard slog).

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 03-Nov-12 08:29:48

Kinky sounds like you all must need a holiday. Sounds like a lovely way to recharge and have some fun, hope your dd is ok.

I'm super excited we got our flight details for next September , now just to finish paying for it

I'm planning tell kids in May half term so they have excitement to look forward to And enjoy build up

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 03-Nov-12 12:20:16

I think most of us are probably still paying for it!!

KinkyDorito Sat 03-Nov-12 12:59:31

I will need to sell a kidney to pay for ours...

She's okay - very up and down, thanks Hokey. It's been a pretty rubbish couple of years.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 03-Nov-12 23:54:30

I might have to join you, do you think we'd get much wink

Have you been before?

Same here I'm considering selling a leg or two since they decorative only . Part of me thinks what on earth am I doing thinking can afford this . Don't think will be taking much spending money but fortunate have got dining plan so least we will eat am about half way on paying and win e as never spent even that amount on a holiday ( most had been £300 on winter breaks centre park

Not sure whether to tell around dd birthday in March ( when she was younger was told she never make it to 10 due to the illness she has .( firm of emphysema and immune system failure ) then almost 2 years ago she was in picu and suffered 3 heart attacks and was told enough and we had discussion about not intervening if had another we agred turn ventilator of and if she could not mange without it to let her go sad

But well she's here and nearly [10] and Wdw here we come grin

KinkyDorito Sun 04-Nov-12 09:26:54

You have a lot to celebrate too TheHuman. I keep trying to justify it in my head - the cost!! It will be amazing though.

Hokey yes, I took DD a few years ago - she had her 7th birthday there. We stayed in a villa though, so a bit cheaper than what we are doing this time. It was fantastic. The one place we all really enjoyed was Discovery Cove, although, of course, the rest was amazing too. DH has never been, or DS who will turn 4 in December. Exciting!

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 04-Nov-12 10:51:48

Sounds like both your dds and your families need a break.

We went every year before the dcs. Now we go as often as we can afford, last time was 2010.

We have never stayed on Disney before though, i would love to but dh thinks prices are such a rip off he refuses, but we have a lovely villa instead and tbh i do like having my own pool.

We go at the end of July, i can't wait!

SixtyFootDoll Mon 05-Nov-12 15:44:34

I just got back from a fortnight staying in a villa, did all the parks including Discovery Cove. Was amazing.
Would go very year if I could afford it!

Happypiglet Mon 05-Nov-12 20:33:14

Well we just got back and had an amazing (if exhausting) 8 nights at the Beach Club. It was our first time but we are already planning a re run! It was brilliant being able to walk to Epcot which we did a lot and we loved all the parks. Just not enough time to do it all and the kids were really tired. Would try to go for longer next time and build some lazy days in!
My DD and younger DS loved all the characters and we did a fair bit of character dining which was my favourite bit! Even my 8 year old DS warmed to the idea!

Happypiglet Mon 05-Nov-12 21:06:28

Kinky we went to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner one night at Boma which had delicious food and a fab atmosphere. The lodge itself was amazing with views over the animals. We saw humming birds. We would consider it next time.....once we have saved up. Hope you have an awesome time...

KTK9 Wed 07-Nov-12 17:36:50

We are just back too. It was a really lovely holiday, the Beach Club was fantastic and we got upgraded, so breakfast all drinks- including beers and wine - included.

Spent 3 days at royal Pacific in Universal. HP world is amazing! Although the rides were mostly walk on, if it was busy then I think the Express pass and early access would be essential.

If anyone has any questions do ask. Of Dining Plan is an option in Disney, take it, but you won't need the Deluxe Plan, we didn't use 6 of our quick service meals as it was!

Happypiglet Wed 07-Nov-12 21:31:17

KT I know what you mean about Deluxe Dining plan. We used all our meals but no where near all the snacks. The portions are huge. I am not sure we did it justice really.... All you can eat buffets... We did not make the most of them for sure!!!! But it does save money having the plan. We got our basic one free when we booked and it saved us hundreds of dollars.
We walked miles though and I have actually lost three pounds!! unbelievable.

morleylass Sat 10-Nov-12 14:51:09

Hi there, glad everyone who has just come back had a lovely time. I've just booked our tickets for Discovery Cove next April, wish I'd done it earlier as the dates I wanted were sold out.
How far in advance should I get the WDW tickets?
MLx

Groovee Thu 27-Dec-12 17:04:21

We're going in just over 6 months time, my excitement is kicking in!

plipplops Sat 29-Dec-12 20:25:11

Hello, we got back about 3 weeks ago from 2 weeks at the Grand Floridian it was amazing!! Only down side was DDs are such fussy eaters that we struggled to find stuff they liked and didn't have a car to get out of WDW (apart from a taxi to Universal for the day - went for total Disney immersion!!). Just brilliant though - DDs are 4 and 5 and I'd love to go back in maybe 5 years when they can do more rides.

Oh one thought though, DD1 is 5, just tall enough to go on some of the scarier rides. Took her on DINOSAUR! which scared the living crap out of her, then for the rest of the holiday she started shaking every time she went on something new. She barely managed the Little Mermaid show as she was terrified at the thought of the octopus woman, and refused point blank to go on the Finding Nemo ride as she was too worried about the shark!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now