Anyone else got a Disney Florida trip planned? Want to get excited together and share plans?

(999 Posts)
PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 19:03:03

We are off to DisneyWorld next year and I am already really excited about it. Anyone else? I'd love to compare notes on what you are doing to prepare. I'm starting to think about how to do a big surprise for the DC when we tell them we are going.

I've walked past it when the monorails were off to get a coach to downtown Disney but didn't have a proper snoop about. Kicking myself now!

We're going on the deluxe meal plan which is totally ridiculous, good thing is that you can double up your tokens for certain experiences so will definitely do Cinderella and the Beast's Castle restaurant. Probably Ohana as it'll be convenient, what did you think of it?

Otherwise I haven't a clue. I've eaten in a few restaurants in Epcot but only snacks in MK etc so not sure where to start!

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 30-Sep-12 22:00:16

Ohana was great, far too much food but a good meal. And the dc loved the games. None of our other meals was upto much apart from the buffet character breakfast at Tusker House and Teppan Edo.

Crystal Palace was ok but a bit meh. It was all a bit busy and a bit of a mess tbh.

Crystal palace is in a really convenient spot though and has bloody Winnie the Pooh. I think we'll probably go there but I'm not expecting much from it.

Didn't realise, but should've guessed, that Teppan Edo would be Teppanyaki. I am SO there. Really hungry now sad

WannaSplitAPineapple Sun 30-Sep-12 22:05:33

smoulder you sound like me, we have eaten at a few of the hotels and I always have a good nose about. We can't decide where to eat this year although Be Our Guest is defiantly on our list and I wouldn't mind doing a character breakfast again. Does anyone have any recommendations?
painting you should ask a friend/family member to come and record it. It would be a lovely start to a holiday video.

WannaSplitAPineapple Sun 30-Sep-12 22:09:18

Crossed posts so just wanted to say that Ohanas do a really good character breakfast mrs

PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 22:13:17

We're doing breakfast at Hollywood & Vine in Hollywood Studios, the reviews of the food is a bit meh but they have Jake and Agent Oso so the girls won't care less about the food!

CockBollocks Sun 30-Sep-12 22:13:37

Next April <does a little dance>

I am so excited, we last went before children in 2005 we are staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 30-Sep-12 22:14:40

Mrsc Teppan Edo is great, a real highlight for the dc too as they loved all the little tricks and jokes the chef did. I had the scallops I think, the dc a mix of steak and shrimp. It's one of the few places where the dc don't have to eat nuggets as well.

We did whispering canyon too and it was fun though the food was a bit rubbish. We wish we had done the Cape May clambake. That looked fab.

Eggrules Sun 30-Sep-12 22:19:31

I am logging in and then will go back to read the thread.

We want to go for around 21 days. Ideally it would look like this:

Stay in Disney hotel by the park for 2 nights
Rent a villa for other Florida sights
Have a final beach type for 5 nights

Any ideas/ tips?

Eggrules. We've done a week at the parks and then a week down in St Petersburg for some sun, sea and sand.

What other Florida sights did you have in mind? What age are your children?

IMHO, 2 nights at the parks won't be enough. Unless you want to hop from Disney to Universal? I'd do 2-3 days in each.

Definitely doing Teppan Edo then smile

What about shows? What are 'must sees'?

I've seen Dreams the firework show about 10 times lol, Finding Nemo was good, Little Mermaid short but sweet. Going to do Lion King next year. Anything else?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 30-Sep-12 22:47:04

I think 5 days Disney, that's one for each park and a day for downtown Disney or a waterpark, plus you'd get free dining if you were within the right period.

Best shows? Lion King definitely, Fantasmic a must see, you can do a dining package for that as you've got credits to burn! Indiana jones stunt show good, and dd loved beauty and the beast at HS. Wishes was great but we didn't do illuminations, just couldn't make it work with the rope drops the next morning. The only parade we did was MK which was fab.

PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 23:06:40

Anyone leave mousekeeping envelopes with a tip in? We never have before but I'm thinking it would be a nice craft activity for the kids before we go.

We have left a tip in our room before, but always just left the cash on the bed nearest the door. Looks liek lots of people put some serious effort into how they leave the tips, here

Crashes into thread yelling me me me

Ok I may be a tad excited but am taking dd and ( ds1 and ds2 not wanting to go ) next September for 14 nights staying at POFQ
They have no clue they been wanting go a long time but told them need save 2/3 years and then were go to Euro Disney

I'm planning tell them around May time with treasure hunt . Not leaving to last minute as want them to have the excitement of it

Am nervours as I'm a full time wheelchair user and ds3 part time . Disney have been great it's just the airline /airport bit am nervours about any tips

Oh and plan is just Disney and seaworld not the other parks . I may consider DC but will talk to them later next year about access etc

Groovee Mon 01-Oct-12 06:45:53

We fly out next June. Haven't told the kids. Going for a villa this time though x

ihatethecold Mon 01-Oct-12 10:26:56

we are planning on getting to gatwick and then giving them our universal tickets and watching their faces..
they are 12 and 9 and we talk about our previous holiday to florida all the time. my and my DH are soo excited.

ByTheWay1 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:59:23

We have been 3 times and ALWAYS book one night in the Royal Pacific for the middle of our break - a weeknight is best.... the Royal Pacific is the cheapest, and the theming is FAB - and I love getting to and from the parks by free water taxi - it is the way to travel!!

Being able to spend the evening out on Citywalk with a drink is great too, and swimming in the hot outdoor heated pool under the stars was stunning...

You also get 2 whole days parking for the price of 1 night's parking... (you still have to pay)

But of course the best perk is the "fast pass" equivalent - you can book in at 6.30am, be at the parks for early opening and get to fastpass rides all day, and the next day - all for 1 night's room!! 5 times on the Simpsons ride in an hour is best done BEFORE lunch though!!!!! And the time saving on M-I-B is worth the room rate alone!

Be aware that if you stay at any of the hotels, they do allow pets in one wing - so if you have any allergies, ask for a pet free wing. They also do "feather free" rooms on request. Mine are allergic to cats and feathers! You email them and they RING YOU BACK!! - nothing is too much trouble!

suebfg Mon 01-Oct-12 13:16:21

If you are going to Disney, note that you could fill nearly the whole 2 weeks with the Disney parks alone. Highly recommend the 14 day Disney explorer ticket - you will get good use out of it.

When do people tell their dc ? Part me wants to tell them Xmas but thinking 9 months may take edge of the excitement and drive me nuts to

Happypiglet Mon 01-Oct-12 16:58:12

Thanks to whoever suggested the DIBB planner. I have spent a happy time today starting to fill in the planner... It really helps to have all the info in one place. Will explore the site some more too at some point!
TheHumanCatapult we are telling DC on the Friday before we fly in the Gatwick hotel... We booked a year ago and it has been the hardest secret to keep ever!
They have never been before.... Hoping they are chuffed!!!

Hulababy Mon 01-Oct-12 17:02:45

We are going in Febuary half term, just for a week.

We have been before - this will be out fifth trip - but we normally go in the summer. DH was desperate for some winter sun though so booked a couple of weeks ago.

We are flying with Virgin and we are then staying in a villa in the area which is owned by one of DH's colleagues. Will book tickets from someone like Undercover Tourist a bit nearer the time.

DD is 10y (nearly 11 at the time) for this trip - she;s been at 2y, 4y, 7y and 9y. She knows we are going again as she was there when we made the decision. Never done the big surprise thing.

PaintingTheFlowersRed Mon 01-Oct-12 17:41:47

There are quite a few of us busy planning! I'm just so excited, it just can't come soon enough for me!

I'm planning for 2018 smile the children will be 7 & 9.
I am saving £100 per month (currently have saved one months worth) smile

Took me long time and paying it still it's painfull but be worth it when they find out
At the moment we have qsdp not sure whether to go Dp as not sure how we cope being tied to a particular time or park . We tend to be off the cuff kind of people

So dithering . Do you get long with characters at your table ?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Mon 01-Oct-12 20:50:02

Thc I think it's so worth it but we've had this out before on another thread haven't we about recommended parks. I hate to queue! And because I know what park I'm going to be in then I can book the ADRs.

You can always make rope drop at a recommended park, do your top few things and then off the cuff it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now