Anyone else got a Disney Florida trip planned? Want to get excited together and share plans?

(999 Posts)
PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 19:03:03

We are off to DisneyWorld next year and I am already really excited about it. Anyone else? I'd love to compare notes on what you are doing to prepare. I'm starting to think about how to do a big surprise for the DC when we tell them we are going.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 10-Jul-13 17:42:21

Are you having a wonderful time groovee?

We go two weeks tomorrow!

Groovee Uruguay Thu 11-Jul-13 02:39:43

We're not wanting to come home sad flight home on Friday :-(

Groove can imagine

Everyone keeps telling me been once going want keep going

flatmum Thu 11-Jul-13 09:40:16

hi everyone I've just booked for 13 nights in October (please tell me that's enough) family of 5, kids 8, 6, 3. Never been before, need to find a villa, get tickets, decide on itinerary etc. please give me your top tips!

has anyone been in October before? what should we expect? thanks!

Happypiglet Thu 11-Jul-13 21:14:51

Hi flatmum we went last October for 8 nights during state school half term. We stayed on site at Disney's Beach Club so I can't advise on villas etc.
We easily found enough to do in the 4 Disney Parks and the water park that was open and in fact didn't do it all.
Weather was cooler than usual because of Hurricane Sandy having just passed through but it was pleasant and heated up by the end of the week.
Crowds were OK actually- first thing we could walk on a few rides each day except the weekends and then Later in the day waits were at most 40 mins but usually 20. We used Fastpass for a few rides like Toy Story Mania.
I bought the Unofficial Guide to Disney and used that and the DIBB forum (just look it up on line) to plan and decide where to go within each park.
My kids were 8, 7 and 5. They were exhausted every day and we didn't make the evening fireworks at Epcot and MK. We did see Fantasmic at DHS which is earlier at 7.30pm and well worth doing.
There is a lot of walking involved!
I would recommend character dining and book that in advance. You can book 180 days in advance. Mine all adored the characters and we spent a fair amount of time queuing for autographs and hugs. Character dining is a nicer way to meet characters. We particularly liked Crystal Palace in MK for Pooh and Piglet etc, Garden Grill in Epcot for Mickey and Pluto plus others and we did Cinderellas castle for breakfast which DD (5) adored.
We are going back Oct 2014 for longer and doing Universal too this time. We didn't bother last time as my younger two wouldn't have been allowed on a lot of the rides. This time they will be tall enough for most there and have become Harry Potter nerds so Universal is a must!
Disney has quite low height restrictions and all the rides are so well done. It's great for littler ones.
Think that's enough from me tho!

Groovee Uruguay Thu 11-Jul-13 23:56:59

It's our last night. Chilling by the pool. Washing in the dryer, so it's just PJ's and swimming stuff to be packed dirty tomorrow.

We're staying here It's a fab villa. The only complaint would be that it's 2 double beds in the other rooms, so no twins beds, so if we came back with grandparents we couldn't expect the kids to share. But we're very secluded and feel very safe. 20 minutes to Disney, about 40 to Idrive and Universal. Loads of places to eat round here too. Our most expensive meal has been $60 for 4 of us.

Will be sad to come home but happy to answer any questions. xxx

flatmum Fri 12-Jul-13 11:12:43

that ooks great groovee - exactly what were after. Not available when we come unfortunately. Thinking of doing 3/4 nights at first in a disney hotel to do the disney parks and then moving to a villa to chill a bit more maybe

Groovee Uruguay Fri 12-Jul-13 11:13:57

I would consider doing that Flat mum if we were coming for longer. We've always stayed on site but this holiday really opened up other things to us.

Mama1980 Fri 12-Jul-13 11:19:41

Hi I just found this thread smile I've booked two weeks in September for my dd15, ds1 5 and ds2 7months. We are staying in the Polynesian and have gone all inclusive with food, activities etc. has anyone stayed there? We've had one hell of a year so far so are there any extras we can do that I should be aware of? I want it to be utterly amazing for them.

Groove

Must admit if not for the driving issue I would liked stayed in a villa but when looked into taxis be to expensive

Groovee Uruguay Sat 13-Jul-13 12:11:14

Finally back in the UK after a horrendous delay at Sanford. Had a fab holiday and can't wait to save up for another holiday.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 13-Jul-13 22:53:33

Glad you had a great time groovee at least it is hot here, better than coming back to pissing rain!!

Groovee Uruguay Sun 14-Jul-13 06:45:26

Bloody freezing up here lol. Was only 17 degree's. Needed my coat on lol. grin

KinkyDorito Sun 14-Jul-13 07:10:51

Not sure how to feel about the fact we are flying on a Dreamliner...

Anyone else? Has anyone been on one? I'm hearing they are an excellent plane, but the news seems determined to make me very nervous.

2 weeks and 4 days.

Groovee Uruguay Sun 14-Jul-13 08:19:24

A lot of people who are due to fly on them are worried too Kinky. I suppose it's a case of waiting to see what thomson say next.

KinkyDorito Sun 14-Jul-13 10:39:56

They are still flying - I asked them yesterday when we picked the tickets up. No intention to ground. 100% confident about them. Wish I was!!!

Groovee Uruguay Sun 14-Jul-13 16:39:53

Will be interesting to see if Virgin go ahead with the fleet they have ordered for Late 2014.

KinkyDorito Sun 14-Jul-13 19:05:23

They've said in the press they are.

jimijack Mon 15-Jul-13 16:49:48

WE GO IN 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excited beyond belief!!
Doing a wee dance round the kichen right now smile

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Mon 15-Jul-13 19:14:13

We go in 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29 here (I think)

Groovee Uruguay Tue 16-Jul-13 09:15:45

Yay! Sounds like lots of fun going on in your houses. Am on the come down blues sad

Turniphead1 Tue 16-Jul-13 09:50:08

MAMA1980 - have you seen Tikiman's blog. Fantastic about the Poly and which Longhouses etc to request. He says you can request a particular longhouse / floor etc via whomever you've booked with as soon as you want. No need to wait til Sept. no need to fax either.

We were looking at the Polynesian but two interconnecting rooms there was too much for us.

We've booked our cruise on the Disney Magic for the middle if our trip (April 14) V excited about that!

V jealous of those going soon! And sorry that you are on post trip blues Groovee. Hope your photos and memories can cheer you up.

Groovee Uruguay Sat 20-Jul-13 14:30:30

Been back a week. Am now looking for Flights to Florida to hopefully visit St Augustine.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 21-Jul-13 00:04:32

We're off on weds!! Finished packing today - soooooo excited!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now