Anyone else got a Disney Florida trip planned? Want to get excited together and share plans?

(999 Posts)
PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 19:03:03

We are off to DisneyWorld next year and I am already really excited about it. Anyone else? I'd love to compare notes on what you are doing to prepare. I'm starting to think about how to do a big surprise for the DC when we tell them we are going.

I've booked Chef Mickey and it gave me the option of a dairy free meal. Phew!

I'm trying to book the dinosaur cafe in downtown but three doesn't seem to be availability. Was I just lucky with the date I selected for the character meal? Seems silly that I can get this and not the dinosaur cafe.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 09-Mar-13 20:42:21

Hope you like in Pickled i can't wait to go back!

Booking things makes me EVEN MORE EXCITED!

DD will be nearly 8. Too old for a princess meal? DS is 3 and not interested in princesses.

Groovee Sat 09-Mar-13 21:24:02

Never too old for princesses. Ds who was 4 hated the characters at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridan but liked the food. It was more for dd to compensate how long she had to wait for ds to see pluto.

Groovee Sat 09-Mar-13 21:24:59

When are you going Pickled?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 09-Mar-13 21:49:22

DD1 was 7 when we went first had a princess lunch and she had gone off them by then but she still loved it and so did dd2 who was 4 and she has never really liked them!

Going in August for the first time. My brain feels overloaded and I'm finding it impossible to take everything in. Is this normal?

Groovee Sun 10-Mar-13 15:48:19

LOL yes Pickled. That's where I find flitting between the Dibb, here and the dis helpful.

Play around with your dates and times for the T Rex Cafe in DD as you never know what you may manage to get.

I have a book but no other sites. It all sends me into panic mode.

I've managed to get a Trex booking! Phew! Which part is closet to DD?

I'm still deciding on the pirate/mermaid experience.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 10-Mar-13 17:19:23

I have said this before but in the end I paid a US company to book my adrs, do my itineraries and day plans! It was about 20 dollars per day well spent! I just couldnt work out how to fit in the meals and the shows and the rides we wanted in the 5 park days we had before Universal.

Hulababy Sun 10-Mar-13 18:03:52

PickledMoomin - we went to T Rex this time but without a booking. It was very busy and we had to wait 90 minutes, but we booked and then went for a walk around Downtown Disney for an hour or so, then came back to wait. So wasn't an issue in that sense.

Hulababy Sun 10-Mar-13 18:05:14

No characters at Three Broomsticks; just a meal and some butterbeer!

That's a genius idea. Did you always stick to the itinerary?

I think we'll be a bit freer that others in the parks. DS is only 3 so we'll be restricted by what we can all go on together.

Does anyone know if you can book at broomsticks?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 10-Mar-13 18:55:58

Pickled just be aware that some of the 3 year old rides have the longest waits so you want to get to the park on opening and head for them first.

We stuck to it mostly but went offplan once we had done the major rides. They even worked in character meets for us so we got literally everything done.

For instance in DHS I couldnt fit in the beauty and the beast show and the indiana jones show, now my youngest would want to see the Disney Jr stuff as well and its all hard to fit in without a plan.

Hi Pickled Moomin,

Glad to inform you re the ID requirements. It has caught people out and they do ask for it, I remember seeing another couple actually get a real once from the Discovery Cove over because they had no picture ID on them!. Americans generally love picture ID also because chip and pin is not widely used in the US. I think they ask for ID for adults as this place serves alcohol but it was never really explained as to why it was needed specifically to enter.

I thought the whole place was well run but also quite regimented. American society is really quite Germanic and has lots and lots of rules!.

I visited Discovery Cove soon after it initially opened so its probably changed quite a bit since then. I did the swim with the dolphin (you do not get much time in the water at all). They at that time pushed the sale of the photos and DVD quite hard. You did at that time wear one of their wetsuits for the duration of the visit. We enjoyed our day but I have not beeen back there since.

Its certainly worth reading both their homepage and terms and conditions before you visit.

DS is an early riser so I'm sure we'll be at the parks long before anyone else.

That's for the overview, Attila. Very helpful. Discovery Coves is the part of the holiday I'm most looking forward to. If its rubbish, at least there's free booze!
Do you know if DS will be able to watch the swim from the side? He's too young to swim.

Would have thought so re DS but see if anything is mentioned on DCs homepage.

Hulababy Sun 10-Mar-13 21:50:30

Don't think you can book 3 broomsticks but tbh we didn't need too. Had no problem getting a seat there.

Yes, you can watch the dolphin swim even if you're not swimming yourself. That's what I'm planning to do next year!

Have you all seen the talking fountain in Islands of Adventure? I think that was my fave thing in the whole of Florida smile

Groovee Mon 11-Mar-13 11:45:42

Anyone seen the Blue Man Group at Universal? Am considering it for us but dh thinks it's a tad expensive.

Thanks.

I haven't seen any of those things.

I haven't even thought about shows yet. Don't think my brain can take it.

Groovee Tue 12-Mar-13 09:01:40

You'll be fine. The blue man group is an extra show. Where as at Disney, all the shows are free.

Groovee Tue 12-Mar-13 11:03:57

Have been hearing that Expedia have cancelled tickets for guests who purchased park tickets through them because the dollar rate is so low. But can't find any concrete proof.

I've bought my tickets through virgin. Any further news on Expedia?

Told DD yesterday. She's having a hard time at school at the moment and seemed very sad so I told her. She said 'thank you' so many times.

5 months today grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now