Anyone else got a Disney Florida trip planned? Want to get excited together and share plans?

(999 Posts)
PaintingTheFlowersRed Sun 30-Sep-12 19:03:03

We are off to DisneyWorld next year and I am already really excited about it. Anyone else? I'd love to compare notes on what you are doing to prepare. I'm starting to think about how to do a big surprise for the DC when we tell them we are going.

FCEK Sun 03-Mar-13 10:48:21

ride

blush

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 03-Mar-13 10:55:02

We did the pins and autographs last year. Pins are a great addition, would really recommend it, we got some from a reputable source on ebay (most are fake be warned) and then a few extra when there that the dc couldnt swap then each day they would put their swappers on their lanyards and head out. You can swap with CMs or in shops for free.

The autographs we knew we could do as we were there at a quiet time and had the characters planned in to our itinerary, otherwise theynwould be a massive time suck.

Do NOT under any circumstances go to a park that has EMH that day. Use the recommended days on easywdw.com religiously and get there for rope drop and use fastpasses and do the headliners first.

The only table meals that are effective if you are not on the dining plan are the character meals if it means you dont have to waste time seeing the characters in park. Our best one was probably Tusker House breakfast buffet but the food, although good, doesnt reflect the price at any of the restaurants at Disney.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sun 03-Mar-13 12:57:46

My dd's do the autographs, we do character dining a couple of times so they can see a variety of characters.

They enjoy getting them and like to look back on them.

Hulababy Sun 03-Mar-13 13:29:43

Have a great time Thea/Nora!!!

Does anybody know if the crowd control predictions change? I've been looking at the August ones and was going to base my planning on them. Would this be a stupid thing to do?

I cannot wait to tell DD and DS.

Has anybody had the Mickey phone call?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 03-Mar-13 14:31:12

Go to easywdw.com and it will tell you the recommended parks for each specific day and what parades are on etc so you can plan your week and book you radrs if needed according to which park you are going to be in etc.

Discovery Coves has been confirmed grin
Time to start planning the other days

Groovee Thu 07-Mar-13 14:06:07

I need to print out my spread sheet of extra magic hours.

We've booked Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom for 3rd of July at 5pm. Idea is that we will go to the water park for a couple of hours in the morning, then head over to MK for early afternoon and stay for 4th July fireworks. Is this a good idea or have we been stupid. Never been over 4th of july before.

Any suggestions for 4th July?

PickledMoomin,

Do not forget your photo ID the day you visit Discovery Cove. It is one of their terms and conditions that photo id for all people aged 18 and over is shown upon arrival into Discovery Cove!.

If MK is filled to capacity on 4th July(which it likely will be given how big the 4th July holiday is) I would arrive at the MK park as soon as possible to opening time.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Thu 07-Mar-13 18:13:17

Yes it closes in stages when it is really busy. So first it will close to people staying offsite, then those with annual passes, then people staying onsite etc. if you go that weekend you probably need to get in early and not leave if you want to stay for fireworks.

You can join the forum at easywdw and ask what time closure might set in that weekend, other people will know.

Groovee Thu 07-Mar-13 18:26:20

We're going on the 3rd to MK. Looking for something to do on the 4th as not sure how busy Kissimee and the surrounding area's will be.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Thu 07-Mar-13 20:06:55

Here is the info about the 3rd in the parks here

What about a waterpark on the 4th? If you need to go to MK early to make sure you get in. Note that just having an ADR for a restaurant will not get you in if its in full closure mode.

Groovee Fri 08-Mar-13 09:02:26

I'm wondering about heading to celebration or something. Not planning on doing a park if we can help it. Maybe the Orlando Science Centre if it's open.

MOSagain Fri 08-Mar-13 18:16:46

ref character meals, in my experience you can nearly always get booked into the Crystal Palace at MK at short notice. The last two occasions we went we booked on the day whereas with the more popular ones like Cinderella's castle you do have to book months in advance.

CP has Winnie the Pooh and friends and does a really nice buffet.

Celebration is nice for a change. There is a small cinema and several nice restaurants including a fabulous japanese. Last year we escaped for a few child free evenings and after dinner had a nice wander around the lake and coffee at Starbucks.

TheaBeaver Sat 09-Mar-13 00:48:41

Hi all. Got here ok and been having a great time except that I've come down with a really bad cold and have had to come back to the hotel by 5ish most days as I can't stand it any longer sad really gutted. Managed to get some cold and flu tablets in the hotel shop today but its not doing anything. Really hoping I'll be better ASAP! I'm desperate to go out and enjoy it whilst we're here. I feel guilty as well for ruining the holiday sad

Dh got us tickets for Cirque du soleil today for next Friday, so looking forward to that. We've only been to MK and AK so far. The rest of the time we've just been going slowly. Today we went to Disney quest which was good. The weather's been lovely. Was windy the day before yesterday but apart from that it's been glorious weather.

Hulababy Sat 09-Mar-13 08:24:32

You poor thing sad get well soon

MO - normally I'd agree with you but this year we really struggled to get anywhere

TheaBeaver Sat 09-Mar-13 13:59:13

Thanks Hula

Hope you feel better soon. Being on a germy plane never helps...

I don't know which character meal to book. DD and DS will want to see Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy etc. which would you recommend?

Which restaurant does the Harry Potter meal? Is it the Three Broomsticks?

Thanks Attila. I didn't know they were required. Please tell me it's worth the money?

Groovee Sat 09-Mar-13 17:49:15

I checked availability for the 2nd and got Crystal Palace for then so cancelled my ADR for the 3rd and we've changed things about.

I always got a cold with travelling on the plane too :-(

I'd recommend the Garden Grill at Epcot or Chef Mickey's for the main characters. We loved them both. Allears have the menu's so best to check them out to see what your children may eat. If you don't book in advance then don't count on just walking up. A lot of availability for June/July is low when we've been searching with the online facility. Another recommendation we've been given is the Hoop De Doo at Fort Wilderness.

Thanks Groove. DS has a dairy allergy so it should be interesting feeding him there.

Where is Chef Mickey?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sat 09-Mar-13 19:21:22

Pickled, they are well used to allergies, its so normal there. The server will let you know what you can or cant eat and they have all the ingredients listed and if that fails then the chef will come out and talk to you.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 09-Mar-13 19:38:14

Chef Mickey's is in Disney's Contemporary resort. It's an all you can eat buffet.

The characters come to the table, pose for pictures and sign autographs.

DD's saw, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald and Goofy.

They loved it and want to go back again this year - we booked in advance online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now