Villa in Florida. Self catering tips please?

(25 Posts)
theladylovescupcakes Mon 24-Sep-12 19:18:37

Going in October, renting a villa for DH, DS (10) and I.

Thought I might write a shopping list of groceries before we go, rather than wandering round Walmart in a daze, throwing gallon buckets of ice cream into my trolley and nothing else!

Any other tips for self catering? We usually end up eating at least one meal at home, so if we're out all day and have lunch out, then we'll usually have dinner at home, usually a takeaway. Thanks.

BonnyDay Mon 24-Sep-12 19:21:36

er.. food?

monsterchild Mon 24-Sep-12 19:22:56

I personally would aviod Walmart, just because there's TOO MUCH there. Head to a local market and see what's being grown locally!

susiedaisy Mon 24-Sep-12 19:25:30

Public's supermarket is lovely, akin to Sainsburys over here! Tbh their supermarkets are pretty much the same as here just different brands, much better salads and coleslaw's though IMO

clam Mon 24-Sep-12 19:41:10

Basics: bread, butter, milk, fruit, cereal, soft drinks, beers etc..
When we self-cater for a week (skiing apartment) we take dishwasher tablets/decanted Fairy liquid with us because those things are often expensive and you never use a whole box/bottle.
Suncream is much cheaper over there than here - and you can get the aerosol spray, which is a zillion times easier to apply (although do it outdoors!)
Florida: mosquito spray/wipes. Again, buy it there.
What about a cheap cool bag with ice bags to take with you each day. Drinks in the parks can add up (can't remember if some do what Thorpe Park does and give you free re-fills). Check out whether all parks will let you take in food/drink though. Some won't.

nananaps Mon 24-Sep-12 19:52:34

Small bottles of water are cheep and if you sling them in the freezer overnight, by the time you get to the parks, they begin to thaw, but are absolutely gorgeously cold with ice in for most of the day.

They just dont do small portions of things, so we found that we wanted to buy salad stuff, coleslaw etc and they only do HUMONGOUS tubs enough for a family of 10.
Cold meats you can buy over the deli, so you can chose how much you want, the pre packed stuff again is huge portions.

We stocked up on drinks, snacks,and ate out every day, its so reasonable.

The parks only have chips, burgers, chicken burgers and awful pre packed salads, so we did take sarnies with us, and nice snack things most days.

TBH we enjoyed going around Walmart, mouths agog at the tyres, guns and car parts you could buy in there!

Enjoy! We are off there next March ..excited!!!

clam Mon 24-Sep-12 20:20:35

And in any fast-food joint, chicken is breaded, kije it is in KFC. I yearned for a lean chicken breast au naturel when we last went!

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Mon 24-Sep-12 20:26:55

Publix do lots of nice big cakes bowls of lovely prepared salads.

Their cooked meats are really love as well.

I have just booked for next July, can't wait, we love it there.

theladylovescupcakes Mon 24-Sep-12 21:16:04

Some good tips there, thanks! Any more?

clam Mon 24-Sep-12 21:49:33

There'll almost certainly be a BBQ at the villa, so stock up with some stuff for that.

MOSagain Wed 26-Sep-12 14:06:09

Where abouts in Orlando will you be? If near the 192 there are a couple of Publix stores there which are good and a Wyn Dixie(marketplace) at Formosa gardens which is pretty well stocked. I have to say though, I noticed a lot of things were more expensive when I went last month than previous trips, bread in particular was a lot more.

I always take tea, coffee, cereals and snack/cereal bars/yogurt raisin type snacks for days at parks but that is about it, everything else I get out there.

theladylovescupcakes Wed 26-Sep-12 15:50:16

Hi MOS, we'll be in Davenport. I think there's a Publix nearby?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 26-Sep-12 15:54:37

Yes there is a Publix in Davenport....stay away from the lady giving out the cake samples at the door!!!

susiedaisy Wed 26-Sep-12 16:00:45

There was a lovely publix on the 192 last year that had only just opened about 4 weeks before we were there, it was clean and fresh and on one occasion my mum and I were the only customers, it was heaven!!!

Realises I'm sad!! But doesn't care!smile

theladylovescupcakes Wed 26-Sep-12 16:33:35

Susie-not at all! I would a fully like to do a grocery shop in Publix on my own, with all the time in the world.....!

theladylovescupcakes Wed 26-Sep-12 16:50:21

Oh, and while I'm here, can I take cans home on the plane in my hold suitcase?

MOSagain Thu 27-Sep-12 16:50:22

cans? confused well yes, probably but won't they be rather heavy?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 27-Sep-12 18:34:36

Cans of what?!

theladylovescupcakes Thu 27-Sep-12 21:02:04

Cans of pumpkin! Was more worried about them exploding rather than the weight! Maybe not a good idea then. Will just stick to sweeties grin

monsterchild Fri 28-Sep-12 02:54:47

Can't you get canned pumpkin in the UK?

theladylovescupcakes Fri 28-Sep-12 09:02:27

Probably! I live in NE Scotland so my supermarket doesn't stock such fancy stuff!

cluelessnchaos Sun 30-Sep-12 11:12:29

Just came onto post an identical thread and didn't need to, I'm ne Scotland too and flying to Tampa on the 11th October, glad to hear sun lotion is cheap there, I've been looking around for deals but now the (supposed) summer is over there aren't any, travelling with two teenage girls and two younger boys. Can I hijack and ask where the best shopping malls in Sarasota/Orlando for teenage girl shopping, Tia

MOSagain Sun 30-Sep-12 12:27:34

I imagine if your teenage daughter is anything like mine she will like the Premium Outlets mall (off the I4/SR535) or The Florida Mall where the likes of the dark and dingy Hollister are

Joshpoodlehamster Sun 30-Sep-12 23:11:44

Hollister/ Abercrombie shopping tip for teens....as soon as you arrive get them to register online using their USA address... This gets them promotion mailers virtually every day. Huge discounts available by shopping online or taking codes to store. For example 40% off hoodies etc. Our visit coincided with a sale and we got a big online order that meant we could stay on the beach all day.

cluelessnchaos Mon 01-Oct-12 20:08:37

Fantastic tips guys thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now