Benefits once child has turned 16

(11 Posts)
tarantula Fri 26-Oct-07 08:31:36

Dss has just turned 16 and is still at school. His mum has rung dp to say taht they have cut all her benefits nad she si now gettign no money at all and no housign benefit. I think that someone is givign her the run around here becuse I was uner the impression taht she would get JSA (which she would have to go and sign on for) and that she would still get CTC for dss. She has asked me to find out what I can for her and I am going to ring her later today so if anyoen has any information I'd be most grateful. Thanks

tarantula Fri 26-Oct-07 08:59:48

anyoen know? please

Hekate Fri 26-Oct-07 09:01:05

I thought that they get benefits until 16 OR 19 if they are in full time education.

asur Fri 26-Oct-07 09:02:51

if he's still in full time education, she'll get CTC and CB till he's 19. don't know about other benefits though.

Freckle Fri 26-Oct-07 09:07:14

What is her situation? I assume she doesn't work. I think what may have happened is that she is entitled to income support and other passported benefits as a single parent with a child under the age of 16. Once her son turns 16, this no longer applies. If he is in full time education she will still get child benefit, but the other benefits will stop and she will have to apply, probably, for JSA - and that means complying with the conditions, such as looking for a job, applying for jobs, etc.

She should apply for JSA and then get on to the housing department to sort out her housing benefit and council tax benefit. She should still get CTC for her son. Once she has a job, she will have to have all her benefits reassessed, but should be able to apply for working tax credit as well as CTC.

lomondgore Fri 26-Oct-07 09:10:30

Was she on income support? I think that now her ds is not a dependant she will not get that, they will expect her to work. If he is not in full time education I'm not sure.

Try here..

www.dwp.gov.uk/

fleacircus Fri 26-Oct-07 09:10:56

If he continues in full time education after 16 he'd be entitled to EMA as well - the school should give students information about applying while they're in year 11.

tarantula Fri 26-Oct-07 09:15:22

Thanks everyone. Yes She is not working Freckle. She has been on IS up till now. The problem is I didnt get to chat to her myself so I dont knwo what she has done re applyign for benefits. I just got a garbled account from dp (Can you ever trust men to take a message grin) saying that all benefits had been cut. I've just printed out details of how to apply for Job seekers and who to call re CTC and I'l give her a call a bit later. Many thanks

tarantula Fri 26-Oct-07 09:16:16

Oh EMA? I havent heard of that one. rushes off to search. grin

tarantula Fri 26-Oct-07 09:26:56

DAMN HES NOT ELIGABLE FOR EMA TILL NEXT YEAR> THANSK AGAIN EVERYONE> MUMSNET SI GREAT> SORRY ABOUT CAPS MY MACHINE SI HAVIGN A FIT AND I CANT SEEM TO TURN THEM OFF

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now