Any lone parents in Berkshire?

(14 Posts)
KarineF Tue 08-Nov-16 19:31:01

Hello everyone,

I have been living with my son on my own for two years now and I am struggling to see other lone parents around here, just for chats. Is anybody else finding it hard on their own? just looking to make friends possibly with oth single parents.....

jojosprules Mon 14-Nov-16 19:57:30

Hi! I'm a single mum in reading. I have a 15 month old daughter. Where abouts are you? I'm currently in a lucky situation of still living with my parents however I plan on moving out as soon as financially able to.

KarineF Mon 14-Nov-16 20:50:23

Hello jojosprules,

Nice to hear from you, finally someone who is nearby : )
I am in the Wokingham area, so not very far. Where are you in Reading? It does help if you have your parents close. Where are you looking to move to?
Are you looking for a job at the moment? I stopped working for 5 years and it is really hard to find something especially after not working.
How long have you been on your own for?
Shall we MP each other?

jojosprules Tue 15-Nov-16 18:27:29

Wokingham?! No way! I actually live in barkham but always say reading as no one normally knows of barkham! I found out I was pregnant at 22 weeks and my bf of 2 years just started flaking on me and then eventually stopped talking to me altogether! When my maternity pay finished I left that job and found a part time job in Bracknell so do 16 hours a week across Monday- Wednesday. Sorry if this is a stupid question but is there a private message service on here? I don't really use it that often so not sure if not maybe we could add on fb and meet up? X

KarineF Tue 15-Nov-16 22:05:37

Yes, I know Barkham of course, I am regularly driving down Barkham Ride. Are you on your own or back with your parents? I am sorry about your unplanned pregnancy, it must have been a shock! Have you come to terms with it now? It must have been scary to have been left on your own to face pregnancy and deal with a baby on your own? May I ask you how old you are? (don't answer if you don't want to). Did you leave your job to look after your baby? What do you do? It's so hard to find jobs..... I left my full-time job when I had my son too and satyed 5 years without working to raise him up and I found it really hard to find something once my husband left me. having two days off in the week is brilliant, it sounds like a nice part-time.

Yes, it's not obvious it took me a while to find the private messaging system. If you look where my name is on the post in the blue bit, you will see on the top right "Message Poster" click on it and it will email me directly into my inbox. I am not on facebook.

jojosprules Wed 16-Nov-16 17:14:04

It's not giving me an option of message poster but I'll keep looking! Yes I'm still with my parents I'm 26 and have never moved out so when we found out I was pregnant mum insisted I stay at home so I had their support seeing as I didn't have a partner. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
It was a shock although I was really excited and once I bought the pregnancy test my bf was saying things like it's best if it's negative as we're not ready but I knew I'd be gutted if it had been. My dd is the best thing ever to come into my life!
I work as a payroll clerk for a small accountancy business. I'm going to start studying after xmas to get some formal management accounts qualifications and hopefully eventually have my own business. What sort of job are you looking for? How many children do you have and what ages/sex are they? I haven't found it that bad alone but again I think it's because I'm not really alone as my mum helps so much. How did you find it when your husband/you left? X

KarineF Wed 16-Nov-16 20:30:18

Hello,

Strange, I can't see the private message space anymore.... I am a bit confused.... It appears to have gone. Let's wait and see then...
Were you ok when your boyfriend left or were you quite disappointed? Yes I can understand that you were excited about the baby and as you were working I am sure you felt happy about it, a bit like a next step. You must have been quite stressed to hear his negative reaction to it? I know exactly what you mean about how you feel towards your daughter, I feel the same towards my son, I love him to bits despite a difficult pregnancy and very hard toddler years (he was really hard work). I feel so sad when he goes to his dad now, I miss him so much even for a night and a day!
I am 41 and my son is 6 now. His dad left when he was 4. We are still in touch and things on the whole are going ok.
That's really nice if you can study and manage to do what you want, where will you go to study? how long is the course? What business are you thinking about?
Yes, enjoy the help you get from your mum, you are very lucky. I was very disappointed and scared when my husband left. I don't have my parents around so no childcare nor help in anything, I am tired and have very little time to do things and it's a bit lonely. Before the baby, I had worked full-time as a secondary school teacher before I had my son, then I gave up my job to look after him (it was a commun agreement) then when he left, I had no job and hadn't worked for 4 and a half years. I didn't want to go back as a teacher as I really had enough of the job, the stress is very high and the hours are crazy, full-time means about 40/50 hours a week and I don't want that. It took me a good year/ year and a half to find a job which was part-time but so badly paid. I worked 8 months as a cover supervisor, which I didn't enjoy but it was 4 days a week and no work at home, so had more or less time to sort house, paperwork and child out, but I didn't enjoy it and it was poorly paid. then I found a post in a Primary school as a TA which I enjoyed better but it was only 16 hours a week and not well paid, so struggled financially. Now, I have found a job that I love and find really interesting, helping exams children with their French speaking exam at a local private school. Love it, it's so interesting and it's well paid, but unfortunately, it's year maternity.... I obviously hope to stay on but I don't think I will be able to...
But, I do hope that things will get better with time and I must enjoy the time with my little one, he is my priority really.... Does your daughter go to nursery? Do you do any activities? I am very limited of course, but I manage to do ballet once a week now as my ex looks after the child for that hour.

riapink Wed 23-Nov-16 06:46:50

I'm in Maidenhead and lone parent to a 4 year old. I have no friends in the area. I had to move here because of court order. I would love to make some new friendships but find it hard, I'm a bit shy. X

IneedAdinosaurNickname Wed 23-Nov-16 06:50:32

Hi. I'm a single mum of 2 in Reading. They are a bit older than the all of yours though at 10 and 12. smile

KarineF Wed 23-Nov-16 09:15:37

I have PM you....

jojosprules Fri 25-Nov-16 00:13:54

I haven't got any messages??

yummytummy Thu 08-Dec-16 19:47:22

Hi I am a single mum of two. There is a Berkshire meet up for reading being planned on the main board for 7th Jan possibly. Not sure how to link but may be an idea as a way to meet other mums? It is very hard with no support and can be quite isolating

KarineF Sat 10-Dec-16 18:37:50

Hello,

Sorry i am rubbish with computers. Where is the main board? how do i get there? I tried to have a look at what you mentionned yummymummy about the meet up in Reading on the main board but I can't seem to find anything.... sorry.

yummytummy Sun 11-Dec-16 21:16:12

Hi

In active conversations there is a thread called Berkshire sisters meet up you could maybe search for it? I don't know how to do links to threads either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now