No birthday party for my little one?

(8 Posts)
NooNooMummy Wed 02-Nov-16 10:43:39

I'm looking for advice.

I want to celebrate my 3 year old girl's birthday but it's just me and her most of the time. I don't know anyone who would celebrate with us and it's breaking my heart. I feel like I'm letting her down. She deserves a lovely birthday.

So, for background: I am 3 months into being a single parent. There's lots of nonsense going on with my soon to be ex-husb. and it's quite stressful and exhausting at the moment. I have no family nearby and am only just rebuilding my relationships with friends that I neglected during my marriage. My daughter has 3 or 4 little friends at nursery that she's fond of but I don't know their parents. I would love to invite them to a tiny party but I'm worried that no one would come and I'm ashamed that I've no friends or family of my own who could be there. What would you do? I know I should probably just pull myself together, hand out some invitations at nursery and keep my fingers crossed that some of them turn up for tea and cake. Would you? Please give me some pointers

NooNooMummy Wed 02-Nov-16 11:37:39

I really need some birthday party advice here, please!

Andbabymakesthree Wed 02-Nov-16 11:45:35

You don't need advice.

You've said it here what you need to do.
I know I should probably just pull myself together, hand out some invitations at nursery and keep my fingers crossed that some of them turn up for tea and cake.

Make no huge issue of it to your daughter- ask parents to rsvp to your mobile. Tell them they are welcome to stay on invite. Simple birthday buffet.

You've got this! You need to be proactive. Even if just one friend cones you've got a party. Those who can't make it reply about a play date another time!

NooNooMummy Wed 02-Nov-16 12:12:43

Thank you!! I still feel the need for more pointers. Do it at home or reserve a corner in the pub? Do I need to provide some entertainment or just drinks for the grown ups? confused

RavioliOnToast Wed 02-Nov-16 12:19:22

Maybe take them for tea at a local pub wth a soft play? Ask the nursery workers who she plays with and give the nursery staff invitations to hand out.

Agree re-rsvp to your mobile. Your daughter is still young so won't fully understand. Have tea and cake at home with her stuffed toys after the soft play party.

Agree with asking parents to stay, try to get to know them. I wouldn't officially book anything though. Just ask at the venue if they'll open a tab for you and pay at the end xx

Artandco Wed 02-Nov-16 12:27:04

Just do a small celebration. It's the acknowledgment of her birthday rather than a huge party she probably will be overwhelmed by

I would have a special birthday breakfast with her. Candles in her toast or American pancakes and a flower in case and all fancy. A balloon or two. Sing happy birthday, funky music whilst she opens a gift.

Then for the afternoon send a invite to 3 children from nursery a week before, inviting to casual little birthday tea 4.30-6pm. Just do some little sandwiches, fruit, crisps, and some birthday cake or muffins. They can play with toys before hand as a little play date. Don't invite more, as then becomes too busy in your house and crowd control by yourself. Get some wine and tea for the parents and it's a good way to make a few friends yourself.

Andbabymakesthree Wed 02-Nov-16 13:07:10

The issue for parents in nursery will be whether they can accommodate the party in their schedule. Two hours max. I like 10-30 til 12.30 parties. Gives me free afternoon still.

Ask the nursery manager if they normally drop and collect at similar times so you can try and give invite personally.

Just had a small gathering - couple of rounds of ham and cheese sandwiches. Party rings biscuits, carrot and cucumber sticks, cut up choc Swiss roll, some Pringles, squash and mini sausages.. Kids loved it. They don't want to be overwhelmed with food.

Party bags were bubbles, ballon sweets and cake. Again not overly lavish nor expensive.

We played musical statues, bumps, Simon says and pass the parcel.

NooNooMummy Wed 02-Nov-16 19:59:02

Thanks everyone! Feeling able to do this now cakegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now