Who pays for travel ?

(7 Posts)
TheGrumpySquirrel Fri 16-Sep-16 14:57:26

Contact and CMS payments agreed and fine. Who should pay for travel cost to and from NRP house? It's a significant cost (around £60-80 a month).

Genuinely interested in what people think is fair. CMS payments are a very small proportion of DC expense, so my bias is to ask NRP to pay.

WeAreEternal Fri 16-Sep-16 15:01:50

When my friend moved away from her exh she was ordered to pay the travel costs (on court, as the costs were a direct result of her choosing to move).
From what I have heard/read it is almost always the responsibility of the parent who moved away from the area to pay for the travel costs.

ShowMeTheElf Fri 16-Sep-16 15:03:06

The contact is for the benefit of the children not the RP or NRP.
In an ideal world it would be split equally or the lifts shared.
My DH (NRP) does all the running to collect/drop off his DCs. I (RP) do all the running for my DCs to visit their father.
I know some say 'it depends on who moved away' but I honestly think it should be agreed amicably and shared.

Hamiltoes Fri 16-Sep-16 15:05:29

I do all the running around weekdays (and majority of weekends too!) so if NRP decided not to pay the travel costs to see them, he just wouldn't see them. Even if i moved away. Maybe I am BU but thats the way I see it, maintenance doesn't even cover half of childcare in my case...

Lunar1 Fri 16-Sep-16 15:11:35

Whoever moved should pay.

TheGrumpySquirrel Fri 16-Sep-16 15:14:52

It is more complicated than that but I don't want to out myself! thank you for your responses.

DC costs have risen a lot (hundreds per month). CM hasn't. So I thought would be reasonable to ask him to cover all the travel. Until now I've paid for most of the travel.

1DAD2KIDS Fri 30-Sep-16 19:18:45

First of all well done for looking out for what is fair. So many people just want to screw the other one over. Of course being fair only really works if it both parties are looking to be fair.

For us my ex wife (live 100 miles away) pays for transport and does all the driving. Sometimes I will drive the kids to her or pick them up or meet half way or her parents will drive them. Plus to cut down on her costs she sometimes she stays in our house for the weekend. Luckily we get on OK. Life is too short to be bitter.The way I see it she was the one who choose to leave me and the kids and move 100 away. I think she accepts this as fair as she has never suggested it not. Plus as I do OK and she is fairly hard up I don't ask for child maintenance. I am comfortable, I don't want to fleece their mum. I want her to be able to afford to treat the kids on the occasions she see them and be financially stable enough to move on and rebuild her wreck of a life (it did not work out well with the man she left us for).

If your child costs have increased then of course he should pay more if this is causing you financial hardship. Whether its by paying for transport or by another means. The only problem would be if his financial situation cant accommodate anymore costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now