Bad behaviour

(2 Posts)
mytimewillcome Sun 12-Jun-16 18:42:06

I feel that my 6 year old son has no respect for me and doesn't listen to me when I say no. I lose my temper and we end up arguing. If it's like this now it will be terrible when he is a teenager. I've sent him to his room because he was not doing as he was told and calling me an idiot. I am not a soft parent by any means so how can I regain control? I do feel that his behaviour has hugely deteriorated since his father left over 2 years ago. His father is currently not in contact with him as there are neglect issues and I suspect drug use. He is the perfect child in school so it's only at home.

starry0ne Tue 14-Jun-16 14:45:14

I have been in this position..I do think boys have hormone surges but also I found we are both stubborn and we can get locked into a battle..At these points I take a step back we often go out for the day and almost reconnect...

I also found removing stuff doesn't work.. I think at that age I did he coould earn 10p a day pocket money so for good behaviour but make sure you write it as a positive..It takes time..Lies were a big think for my son so was rewarded for been truthful ( not for not telling lies) I can say though I did reach a point where he expected a reward for doing basic things like behaving in a supermarket.

Do you think it is general behaviour or something behind it..2 years is and isn't a long time to process not seeing your dad when 6..He may well have overlapping feelings.

Another thing I have done is a feelings book. I told him he could feel however he wants he doesn't have the right to behave badly.

I do think the you argue is an issue..Broken record..It is a no.. losing temper does not resolve anything.

I also talk to my DS about what he could of done differently after the event. I think sometimes they don't know how to do it differently.

My DS is 9 not seen his dad since he was 3 and although he has his moments he is much calmer and happier.

I always say be careful never to back down , but think carefully before you threaten something..Is it worth a battle ( and some things are some aren't) and I always make sure I apologise if I am wrong.. I also learn no point asking for an explanation..Your behaviour is unacceptable is what I tell him..They usually don't know why

Some of this may or may not help but worth thinking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now