Worried friend who's a single mum

(5 Posts)
plum419 Mon 11-Jan-16 10:29:21

My friend has recently become single. She has a young baby boy and is worried about being a single mum. She's also very torn about where she should live. She lives in Twyford, Berkshire, (same place I do) where there aren't many single parents, but the job opportunities (thanks to London being so close) are better here than further up north where her parents live. She'd have quite a few couple friends down here, though she'd lack the family support, but naturally she's worried about feeling lonley and like the odd one out. She's considering advertising for a house mate who could have cheaper rent in exchange for helping out with her little boy a bit.

Can anyone offer any advice that I could pass on, or kind words of support? I really want to support her as much as possible. Also, are there any single mums nearby that might like to meet if she does decide to stay in the area?

TIA! xx

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 11-Jan-16 13:42:26

I think the first thing she needs to know is it won't just be up her if she moves, her Ex could prevent her from moving away.
Life as a single parent is tough, IMO life a single parent with not enough money is tougher - I manage without local family support.
I would stay where her earning potential is best. When I first became a single parent I only knew one other single parent, but numbers grow as time goes on.

starry0ne Mon 11-Jan-16 19:35:10

Personally Dependent upon on the family suppport I would move...I don't have family support and do have friends who help but it always feels like I am calling in a favour or paying for childcare.

PeppasNanna Mon 11-Jan-16 19:37:41

Lonecat how could her ex stop her moving?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 12-Jan-16 08:55:57

He stop her moving with something called a prohibited steps order from the court. She would need to show that moving is in the children's best interests and how she would maintain contact to the courts to be allowed to move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now