Single parent seeking contentment

(3 Posts)
HettyLikesSpaghetti Sat 09-May-15 12:14:40

Hi there,

I'm about to start a full time job after 9 months of being a student. My hours will be 9-5.30.
I have a 4 year old who is at nursery (currently 3 days per week). She will now be going 5 days per week and I cannot shake the guilt, especially as she is starting school in September!
The nursery a hours are 8-5.30 and I'm a bit worried about how this is all going to work out. I have my dad who is retired who is able to help with the nursery pick ups but I am worried about making him commit so much of his time.
I cook dinners from scratch at the moment and I'm fretting about how I am going to mange to provide healthy after nursery dinners for DD.
I am going to miss her terribly. It's heart breaking but I cannot continue studying as financially on benefits it's killing me, as well as mentally.
DD goes to bed at 7.30 currently but I'm not sure how this will be feasible if we are only getting home at 6pm.
When are we going to spend quality time together during the week?
I live in a small property and get heart palpitations if my floors are bitty, how am I going to keep on top of this?!
I did not have a realistic option to not take this job, I'm just so worried that I will be neglecting DD all because of a bit of money and my mental health.
Someone please offer me guidance as I feel lost and anxious sad

BlackeyedSusan Sat 09-May-15 13:05:33

batch cook at the weekend. freeze. defrost in microwave. get some takeaway boxes from the supermarket. you can defrost/ cook pasta rice potatoes etc while you spend time with dd.

make the shopping something fun with a ride on one of those toys, a visit to the cafe or park afterwards.

teach dd to hoover. the more you are out the less mess there will be. (mine are currently wrecking the place playing aeroplanes)

BlackeyedSusan Sat 09-May-15 13:07:36

from experience.. you work on surviving one day at a time for the first week or two. then one week at a time, then after a couple ore weeks it will all have fallen into place and you will be used to your new routine.

when it is difficult going through the transition, remember that it will get better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now