Scared: having a biopsy

(10 Posts)
wheresmyfairygodmother Wed 06-May-15 10:44:30

That's it really.

I am a lone parent with no family near. The family isn't supportive anyway so not sure it'd matter where they are. I am in generally good health but have had a few niggles lately. A recent biopsy elsewhere on my body came back clear. Recent blood tests for something else came back clear.

But I saw the doc 11 days ago for something I thought was relatively minor in my mouth. He booked me straight in to an urgent clinic at the hospital. Consultant wants to do a biopsy next week. I am scared for myself (terrified of needles and all that) but petrified / scared / fearful for my children. They have no one but me. They are super young. With the other stuff, the docs were laid back about it and pretty much covering themselves with tests but confident it wouldn't be anything to worry about. With this, it seems a whole different attitude.

Has anyone had a biopsy in their mouth? What happens? I'm so fearful of the worst & no one to talk to. The possibility of my children not having me... struggling to focus on pressing paperwork etc. today which urgently needs doing or I'll be financially in trouble if I miss deadlines. The world has stopped a little bit for me but not for anyone else.

Starlightbright1 Wed 06-May-15 14:04:55

flowers

I am not suprised you are scared...

Focus on what you do know. Both biopsys do come back clear...You have had that haven't..

Try and do one task at a time today ..

good luck for the biopsy

wheresmyfairygodmother Wed 06-May-15 14:44:48

Thank you Starlight.

I have had a moderately productive day considering. When they said next week for the biopsy it sounded soon but waiting for a week already feels like forever.

How did my life get to this. Single mum. No family support. Facing an urgent biopsy alone. It's not supposed to be like this sad

BlackeyedSusan Thu 07-May-15 10:45:13

scary yes. very. hope it all is alright.

gillybean2 Thu 07-May-15 19:47:34

Keep yourself focused on other things as much as you can. It's not easy, believe me I know. I went for my biopsys on my own. Not in my mouth, so can't tell you if that procedure is any different. The hospital staff are very kind but you won't get your official results til the next appointment (in my case that was a week later). If you've had a biopsy elsewhere you probably know that already.

If they're not sure they won't say anything at your biospy. If they are certain either way they may say so at that appointment. There's not a lot you can do until you get the results, apart from worry and fear the worst of course!

Have you got anyone you can talk too? I've been amazed how many people have offered me help and support. Of course I'd have liked to have had that same help and support when I was well... But I've genuinely been surprised how many people want to and will help actually if you ask.

If you don't have anyone then you can always call mcmillan. They'll put you through to someone who will listen to your concerns and help answer any questions. Sometimes it can be easier to talk to a stranger, especially when you don't know either way as yet and may not want to share or worry someone and then find out it turns out to be nothing. Which I really hope it does for you.

Stay strong. Like everything life has thrown at you so far you'll get through this too. Somehow we manage.

wheresmyfairygodmother Mon 18-May-15 21:32:19

Thank you Susan & Gilly.

Biopsy done. Was grim & still recovering.

Was told a 2 wk wait for results. Suspect I'll hear sooner if there's anything abnormal.

Still keeping busy til then. Have started on a massive declutter of the house. 10 bags to charity shop today alone! My children are delighted at the reclaimed space in their bedroom, which has boosted my morale after a few pooey weeks smile

BlackeyedSusan Tue 19-May-15 10:18:10

fantastic job on the charity shop stuff. I need to sort out the children's room as they have lost the carpet. hmm

good luck with the waiting.

Sammasati Tue 26-May-15 18:15:08

I hope all is ok when you get the results, horrid having to wait though. Sending you much strength and wine, I hope that you can find lots of distractions and nice things to see you through the wait.

thanks

TtipParty Wed 27-May-15 17:11:38

I'm here to hand hold. Also a single parent with no tea support, so can't imagine how scary this must be for you. Sending big hugs your way xxx

TtipParty Wed 27-May-15 17:12:42

No support, I mean not sure where the tea came from, but have a cuppa anywaybrew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now