have you always been a single parent ?

(8 Posts)
misstiredbuthappy Fri 04-Apr-14 19:40:14

Hi just curious have you always been a single parent ? I was in a relationship with my dds "dad" I use the term loosely because he doesnt deserve the title. But as soon as I got pregant he ran for the hills. He used to walk past us in the street and blank us. Hes actualy spent time with dd about 5 times and never bought her anythink or paid a penny. She knows shes got a "dad" but says shes not upset she doesnt see him as hes boring and mean in her words (he wouldnt play with her and basicly has no interest).

theeternalstudent Fri 04-Apr-14 20:41:21

Yes I've always been a single mum and DD has no contact with her dad.
In our case it was for the best. No shared residency, no every other weekend, no money but also no bad feeling, no disappointment for DD at failed contact or changing plans. No Disney dad.

If there was the chance that she could have a positive relationship with her father then I would help her manage this and find a way to make it work. However, that's not going to happen and I'm really quite sure it's the best thing for us.

How old is your DD? Is he actively looking to have contact with her now? If he's not looking for it and she's not that bothered then I'd just leave it. When she's old enough she can have her own relationship with her father.

What is bothering you? Do you want to push for more contact?

misstiredbuthappy Fri 04-Apr-14 21:16:31

Shes 5. No hes not interested. About every 6 months he will text an be a complete dick just to wind me up. Nothings bothering me just bieng curious. My dd is happy. Like you its for the best as he would just let dd down constantly. We are a team we dont need anybody its the way its always been smile

MissWimpyDimple Sun 06-Apr-14 21:22:55

Yes in the sense that ex also scarpered when I was pg and it has always just been DC and I at home. But he does have contact and does have her regularly, so in that sense I have "support".

queenofthepirates Tue 08-Apr-14 22:33:52

Yes my DD's (3yo) father disappeared at 8 weeks PG. She a bit too young to ask about him but I'm happy to explain in age appropriate terms. I'm proud to say she's a well balanced little lady with a loving family nearby. I work hard to make sure we are well provided for and she has a nice balance or mum time and time with other kids.

mummyOF4darlings Tue 08-Apr-14 22:47:57

Basically yes i have apart from the times ive been on and off with my youngest 3s dad which doesnt really add upto much.

My 8 year old dds dad freaked out when i found out i was pregnant, whilst pregnant we gave the relationship a go but i knew his heart wasnt in it so ended it, hes always had access to dd and weve tried to be amicable.

My other 3s dad and i split up when my eldest was 5 months old he found someone else. We got together again when our son had just turned 1 for a few months but it wasnt working out i didnt trust him and he was still not wanting to make any for of permanent commitment to me (ie moving in together). Couple weeks after ending it found out was pregnant was gutted even considered an abortion but changed my mind was shocked to the core to find out it was twins. We have remained amicable and hes a fantastic daddy to our children so all turned out good i guess

HappySunflower Tue 08-Apr-14 22:49:16

Yes, I became a parent through adoption so its always been just the two of us smile

Mitsi10 Thu 10-Apr-14 20:27:52

Yes my DD has no contact with her so called dad when I was pregnant all his family were supportive till 6 month after I had her then nothing no Xmas cards or pressies or birthday cards etc her dad apperently has another child which he doesn't see either and another on the way xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now